Signs on Brick

fuego

Oct 6, 2003
Virginia
Visit site
Im new here and dont know if this was ever discussed but I found a way of making signs on brick walls that make it look like it was painted on. Using body art tattoo paper for inkjet printers and a graphics program. I have posted ( I hope) a picture of the newest bldg I have built using this method. After the backing is removed from the paper it has the consistency of peeling sunburned skin. Place on bldg and burnish it gently and you have a painted on sign. The bldg shown is from Downtown Deco who I think have some really remarkable products
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Oct/200310163838876271088784.jpg

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Wow Fuego that is a very timely tip! I've been looking for a way to make my own large "painted-on" signs for the sides of buildings because I just don't like what's out there - i.e. not much!!!!

I have been collecting photos of old painted signs for the past year, wishing there were some way to get them onto my models. I think you may have just found the solution! So thanks a lot for the tip - I'm going to try it this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

cheers
Val

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Originally posted by Clerk
I wonder::..Would that tatoo paper work as decals for engines and cars?
I was wondering the same thing - kinda like a home-made dry transfer? But would we have the same problem with being unable to pring white?

fuego

Oct 6, 2003
Virginia
Visit site
I dont see why it wouldnt work for other uses and as far as printing white I dont know. When I place them on bldgs I that I have painted I kinda dry brush around the decal edge to hide it. The decal is so thin like I stated in my oringinal post that applying takes a little concentration. The consistency really is like skin. It is used for making tattoos for kids and when applied to skin they kinda do look real. Walmart carries this in their office supply area and costs about six or 7 dollars for 5(I think) 8x10 sheets. Give it a try you might really like using it, I do

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
The "El Cheapo" Way

That is a great idea using the tattoo paper and I'm gonna have to give it a try. Two thumbs up!!!!

Back in the days of dinosours, steam locomotives and pre-Bill Gates:D we did it a different way.:D

Cut out the sign or picture you want to apply to a brick building from a slick paper magazine and lay it face down on a hard surface. Using some #600 or finer emory paper gently rub the the back side of it until it is just "tissue thin". It only takes a few strokes.

Using a small paint brush wet the area on the building when the sign is to be applied. Lay the "sanded" sign on to the wet area and using a very wet brush "tease" it into the mortar joints.

After its dry a light coat of Dullcoat or other flat finish will make it look like its painted onto the bricks.

Just a little Tidbit from The Robber Barron's Vault of Forgotten Knowledge:D :D :D

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Re: The "El Cheapo" Way

Originally posted by Vic
That is a great idea using the tattoo paper and I'm gonna have to give it a try. Two thumbs up!!!!

Well, I'm sticking up all three of my thumbs for the idea, Vic
gap.gif
gap.gif
gap.gif

Great idea! Welcome to the gauge, fuego!