Sieverville,Tn

jon-monon

If you will use standard HO track (i.e. Atlas), I would cut out every other tie, and it will give it a very narrow gauge look. There is track designed specifically for On30 (or HOn30), and it has slightly larger ties spaced further apart. I've done this with N scale track to make HOn30, and I like the result better than the pictures I've seen o fready made HOn30 track.

P

philip

Jon :Remember that thread with the 0n30 turnout? that was cool!

what do you rip the ties down to?

philip

jon-monon

I just take out every other one, sometimes pull two in a row, or some times leave two in a row, then croooked them all up until it looks like it was laid by drunken sailors :D :D :D

P

philip

materials/other stuff

Pete: Thanks for setting me straight on the trucks! :thumb:

If you would help me with proportions I would appreciate the information.

When you extended your coach I assume you used Evergreen plastic. What is the wall thickness of the Bachman Combine?

Its big unlike n-scale. The plan is a one piece shell, roof. floor/carriage.

I was also wondering if the sides of the prototype were tongue and groove battens or what?

Oh , Almost forgot....Jon when I was talking about ripping them what is the size of 0n30 tie length, height, width. Can you buy em? And what about the spike? I just want to make a small track section just to get a feel of what this 0n30 looks like in the flesh.

thanks again, philip

Lighthorseman

Tie Sizes...

Hey, Phillip!

Here's an example of the difference in tie sizes fron HO to O scale. Prototype ties are 9 inches wide, 6 inches tall, and narrow gauge ties are about 8 feet long. Here, you can see a few old HO ties still on the rail. The larger ones are O scale ties. Once the rail is spiked, I remove the last few HO ties.

Attachments

• Spiking.jpg
    Spiking.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 163

jon-monon

Oh , Almost forgot....Jon when I was talking about ripping them what is the size of 0n30 tie length, height, width. Can you buy em? And what about the spike? I just want to make a small track section just to get a feel of what this 0n30 looks like in the flesh.

That, I dunno, Phillip, I'm not modeling On30. Steve's prudy nice about measuring stuff for us, perhaps he'll measure them for you :D :D :D I've not done any hand laying...yet :D :D :D

Steve - are those O ties or the 8 ft NG O's?

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
When you extended your coach I assume you used Evergreen plastic. What is the wall thickness of the Bachman Combine

Phillip,
When I extended the Bachmann combine, I used four windows length, from a Bachmann coach. The extended caboose used Evergreen styrene car siding, .040" thick, and the closest spacing I could get.
I rarely ever use drawings when I kitbash, preferring to cut and fit, and temporarily put things together to visualize what the end product will look like.
As a result, I don't document things like material sizes,etc.. I remember that the siding was .040", but would have to go measure the thickness of the Bachmann car sides.
I guess my kitbashing follows the Outback Steakhouse logic,"No rules, Just right".

P

philip

I guess I need to go the the hobby shop. Thanks for setting me straight. ;)

philip

P

philip

height?

Today I ordered the trucks and couplers. Is this 7foot 3 inch height close?

Is the width 10 foot wide? My scale ruler says it is, but the conspiracy thread suggests a narrower width?

Catt wrote...................A safe width for 0n30 cars and locos ia around 7 to 8 '.Actually you can use 0n3 measurements because the real difference in the two scales is really just the track gauge.

philip

Attachments

• 00001 combine.jpg
    00001 combine.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 181

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
The Bachmann car measures 7', where you have 7'-3", it is 8' wide roof edge to roof edge. Catt's reference to On3 simply applies 3' gauge standards to the 30" gauge equipment. You can use any drawings for 3' gauge (HO,S,O, or whatever scale), and convert them to O scale for On30.
Pete

P

philip

Pete: The pic of the V & T (Roundhouse HO ) above is 10 scale feet wide. I thought it looked a little wide. philip

:wave:

shamus

Registered Member
Looks like yor having some real fun making this combine Philip, like to see a photo of the finished project sometime:cool:
Shamus

P

philip

If I can ever track my artist daughter down, I'll have her do a line drawing and then I'll use that as an overlay. :wave:

philip

P

philip

rough

Just spent a week at Gatlinburg,Tn trying to dig up information on this coach. No luck. It seems this is the only picture "posted at the beginning of this thread" anyhow I've decided to make my own version of this combine. My daughter told me to draw it myself.......kids!..................Here is a rough draft that is changed considerably. A whole lot shorter in height and length. The trucks & couplers are on back order so I really need a set to start this project. So now I wait twiddling my thumbs. If anyone has a set of spare trucks/couplers and would sell them I would be grateful.

philip :wave:

Attachments

• smrrdraft.jpg
    smrrdraft.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 150
C

Catt

Got to ask ya. Are you totally scratching this car or basing it on a Bachmann car?

There are several reasons I ask this, one being the car is definately a Jackson & Sharp car.So are the Bachmanns.The Bachmann combine is not the car to start with as there is no closed end on your modeling choice as it has windows on both sides of the baggage door..I would like to suggest that you start with a pair of Bachmann coaches.Make the stretch then cut in the baggage door that probly could come Grant Line or maybe precision scale or you could just simply scratch the door.

The advantage of using two coaches is you have the material to do a stretched coach to go with the baggage car.

Ok,so this is my take on your project.Hope your planning on plenty of pics. :D

P

philip

compression?

Catt: My intention is to build the whole thing from scratch, except the trucks & couplers will be a local purchase. If it turns out not so prototype then so be it. I bought a bag of those o-scale unpainted figures and they are not very prototype. 6ft 6in is a big man. I'm attaching the drawing again & this time showing the rough size of the drawing. This is what I'm going with however I may raise the 6ft section to 6ft 6in. Six is a little short.

After riding a prototype narrow gauge on vacation I can only say the train was small but a powerful beast. I could sit in the coach, spread my arms and it was not over 7 & 1/2 ft wide.

:wave: :D

Attachments

• smrr001.jpg
    smrr001.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 139
P

philip

narrow trains

The live steam at Dollywood. Best part of the whole trip. :thumb:

Attachments

• P1010232.JPG
    P1010232.JPG