Siding, Can't Figure out Proper Pieces

drewhosick

Greetings,

This is my first post at The Gauge although I've been lurking for a few days to a week now. I'm planning on getting back into railroad modelling. Actually in some ways I'm new. My only experience was with a loop HO Track.(Toy sets).

Anyways, I'm working on possible plans for a layout 4x8 most likely in N scale. The problem I'm having is I'm using the Atlas software for layouts and I can't seem to get a siding to lineup right. Everytime I try one end works of course but when I try lining up the other end, where the track rejoins, the pieces just don't fit. Either a bit too long or a bit too short. Is there something I'm missing that I should be doing? Normally I just use the 5" Straight track on the main and siding and then use the shorter tracks to get it close as possible on the siding but it never works out. Am I using the wrong track switches? I've included a photo of a track I was playing around with. You'll see the problem in the top right corner(Notice, this isn't my final plan, but I've been designing multiple layouts just to see what I come up with).

Also, if you want to comment on anything in my layout plan other then that, go right ahead. I'm sure there are many mistakes but my primary problem is that siding bit.
train.jpg

I've never had much luck with the software, but if you use the flextrack option you could easily close that gap.

Freelancer

If you don't use flex track, then you will most likely end up having to cut a sectional piece of track to fit that spot anyway. Right now, you could use the flextrack option just to close the gap for the asthetic aspect of your track plan. In the end, I think that you will have to cut a special piece to close the gap. Maybe someone else may have some different ideas.

Good luck!
Freelancer

drewhosick

I most likely will not be soldering the pieces together if I don't have too. I'm not planning to make this a full fledge railroad with all the carvings just yet. Unfortunatly where I'm situated both in life and physically will not allow me to stay put past April of next year. Hence what I want now is to get setup with the equipement and build something temporary until later in the futur when I can dedicate time to actually putting the scenery in and such.

In other words, I'm planning on laying track and using the nails to hold it in place. In april I'll undo it to move since I have no way of moving it assembled. Some people might call it crazy, I just want a hobby LOL.

I did have one other question if I may. On average, with a large track and a few switches and such, what is more work wiring? DCC or DC? I've heard DCC requires a lot less wiring work at the cost of... well money. Of course DCC also lets me play with two trains more easily. I'll admit I'm not electrically inclined but I usually get through anything as long as I have the internet and books to help me. I think the one thing that will be most dificult is understanding the whole Isolating thing, where and when to use it.

I guess you could say that right now I'm looking for more of a toy until I can setup permanently.

skipgear

It is not possible using #6 turnouts because they don't have a piece of sectional track that matches the degree of radius in the turnout but with standard (#4) turnouts it is not too hard.

This describes the siding:
#4 Turnout - 1 1/4" straight - 19" radius (comes with switch) - 5" straight - 2 1/2" straight - 19" radius - 1 1/4 straight - #4 Turnout

The mainline to mate with this would be 4 - 5" straights between the turnouts.

Just add more straight pieces to both the siding and main line to lengthen it. This also gives a little more spacing between the tracks for clearance.

Attachments

• siding (Small).JPG
    siding (Small).JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 15