Sid Meyer's Railroads!

LoudMusic

http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_detail.php?gameid=12

From the page said:
Arriving Fall 2006

Sid Meier's Railroads! marks the return of the watershed title in simulation/strategy gaming that launched the popular “tycoon” genre, and inspired a new generation of games. Sid Meier's Railroads! comes home to its original creator, the legendary Sid Meier, who, together with his team at Firaxis Games, will take this game to a whole new level of fun!

The greatest railroad building game of all time is back in a vibrant 3D world delivering exciting multiplayer options, in-game customization tools, streamlined interface and unmatched gameplay, that's easy to learn yet challenging to master. Combining the best of real-world and model railroads, Sid Meier’s Railroads! puts you in charge of building the greatest rail empire in the nation - managing trains, cargo and your bottom line - while engaging in all-out corporate warfare against rival tycoons, slick entrepreneurs, and robber barons!

Real-time action – lay track, route the trains, and the world comes to life. Cities and industries grow up around you as you service them, hauling raw materials to market and carrying manufactured goods away; Cargos are loaded onto train cars and passengers shuffle between cities.

Easy to get started – laying track is as easy as clicking and dragging. Bridges, tunnels, railroad stations and switches sprout up automatically where they're needed.

Challenging to master – with a new market system that tracks supply and demand and complex random events that can cause a boom or bust at any time, players must stay on their toes at all times or risk obsolescence, financial collapse, or hostile takeover.

It's all about the trains! – over 30 trains to use, from the primitive 0-4-0 Planet to the Super powerful 4-6-6-4 Challenger, from the classic diesels to ultra-modern bullet trains.

LocoBuilder – customize your train liveries, from color schemes to custom logos.

We've got the goods – over 20 different goods to harvest, produce, and sell, and 30 unique industries, from lumber mills to war factories, each with detailed, unique animations.

Scenario and map editor support – enables user-created maps and scenarios. Want to create a race to complete a transcontinental railroad in 30 years using only steam engines? No problem!

Something for everyone – build your dream train layout in train table mode, or challenge historical giants like Cornelius Vanderbilt, J.P. Morgan, and others in single-player scenarios.

Multiplayer – Ruthless real-time LAN and Internet play. Engage in economic warfare and buy out your rivals!

Screen shots http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/sidmeiersrailroads/news.html?sid=6156393

932338_20060908_screen001.jpg

I believe this is going to be like Railroad Tycoon. I own Railroad Tycoon II Platinum, though I rarely play it. There is a 3rd that is in true 3D. But I think Sid's rendition should be even better.

LoudMusic

I've been fiddling with the RRT3 demo at home. It's ok, much improved game play over RRT2. But I do think this one would be better. I'd like to see longer train consists though.

MilesWestern

Where's the $@#$! tenders??? I looked at ALL the screen shots, and NONE of the locomotives have tenders! ARRGH!!! :curse: It's a fatal error, unless it's a tank locomotive, they mentioned that,"... you don't even have to know an inkling of how a locomotive works.." I guess they don't either! And WORSE OF ALL, HOW COULD SID LET THAT SLIP??? :confused: :curse:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
The local club had the first dinner and presentation of the 06-07 season last night. The presentation was on Trainz2006. Incredible program if you want to build and/or run trains. The most recent version includes the Toronto (Ontario) train lands circa 1955. Gives you all the running/building capabilities listed above, but without the "gaming" aspect. There is also apparently a huge on-line library of locos, rolling stock, structures, and so on.

Andrew

Caveat: I have not used either (but I do plan on putting Trainz on my wish list - as soon as they have a Mac version ;))

Chanda

Hi Miles,
I also just got Trainz 2006 but have found out that I have to do some up-grading. More Ram and maybe a different video card. So you think it is amazing, well that is encouraging and maybe I have something to look forward to.

Chandler

LoudMusic

I definitely need a computer upgrade for gaming purposes. It's kind of embarrasing - I'm a bonafied geek and I can't play anything produced in the past 3 years.

I just downloaded the demo.
I believe I could play the game for about 6 - 10 hours. Of course that is about 300 hours short of the playing time of the first Railroad Tycoon.
Except for the neat graphics, there is just nothing new that could capture my interest.
Sorry.

jflessne

I have it.
Excellent graphics. Really challenging at least for me. I can keep up with demand for most things but after a while everything is a mess. When your city's start to grow and congestion is a problem the double track upgrade is nice but I still have a lot of trains that sit idle waiting for other trains to pull thru! Could be my inexperience with real railroading.

Buying existing or creating new businesses puts a neat swing on things also. Awesome when you have a new engine break a speed record and make the papers. :)

viperman

I've just been playing with the table mode so far. I am liking it, and still getting used to how I can make things more efficient

KCS

In that case is anyone playing Microsoft's Train Simulator? I bought it a long time ago but had to take it back because the computer I had at the time wouldn't support it. I thought about buying it again maybe even with the locomotive control station. I have been coming across sites that have lot's of upgrades for my locomotives and rolling stock. One even had a couple of new locations. If it's at a decent playing level to where some of you guy's can play and enjoy it or tolerate it on an enjoyable level then I think I might go for it.

fsm1000

Charles, get Trainz 2006 at auran.com instead. You will like it tons more then MTS.
Try the demos and you will see that MTS sucks compared to Trainz.

kitsune

The new Railroads game seems to be actually about the same as RT3. Most reviewers are now suggesting it's *less* flexible than RT3, but simpler to play.

For my money, RT2 is still better on gameplay than RT3. Unfortunately, nobody has yet created a railroad game that truly captures all the gameplay possiblities. Sometimes I've talked to some of my friends in the industry about pooling together to hire someone to write code on a new game based on RT2, but soooo much better....

One can dream.