Shuttle Stack and Delta7

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by filton002, Jan 30, 2007.

1. filton002

filton002 New Member

Hi

I am very new to card models in fact this is my second. I have built the delta7 shuttle and am building the stack from Roberto Falorni, this is surely an easy question but I have no idea how the two boosters join or how the shuttle joins to the stack please do you have any pictures !

I dont want to mess it up now it took me 6 months to get this far.

cheers
  2. hpept

hpept Member

Hello Filton,
    I'm glad you're trying to build my stack. This is a question I've already received elsewhere. Although the model is very simple, I understand that being it not provided with instruction, can create some concern to less experienced builders.
    Boosters can be simply glued along their seam to the main body tank, but since it's a very critique glueing, I suggest to pierce the main body with a wooden toothpick and use these spikes to glue the boosters.
    About the way you should connect the Orbiter to the stack, here follows a sketch to show how pieces should be folded and glued.
    Hope this helps.

Roberto

Attached Files:

3. filton002

filton002 New Member

Hi Roberto

Thanks very much for getting back to me it helps to see your drawings and thanks for the model I am enjoying building it very much.

cheers
    filton
  4. bill516

bill516 Member

Shuttle

Filton

I dropped PM to you with a link for some drawings showing tank and booser attachment.

Bill
  5. filton002

filton002 New Member

Bill

Yes many thanks for that Bill I have had a look very helpfull cheers.

If anyone else has any pictures of Rebertos shuttle stack I would still be interested in seeing them if just to see how my attempt compares.

filton
  6. hpept

hpept Member

Hi Filton,
    here below you can see a picture of the complete stack. I no longer have the model, so i'm sorry but i cannot take more snapshots for you. This one was taken during a contest in Italy some years ago.

[​IMG]
    Cheers

Roberto
  7. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Shuttle Stack by Roberto Falorni

Filton,

At the top of Jon Leslie´s page of real space models, you´ll find another good picture of Roberto´s shuttle stack model:
    http://www.jleslie48.com/gallery_models_real.html
    My stack is nearing completion now - just have to do the bottom of the External Tank and the tips of the SRBs . . .

Bengt :D
  8. filton002

filton002 New Member

Bengt

thanks for that i have had a look , I would be interested to know how your model looks any pictures yet?

Also there are a couple of sections i do not know how to use them could you or Reberto tell me.

1. six 56mm long white strips
    2. two 20mm long orange strips
    3. one 27mm long orange strip (looks like marked for folding)
    4. four small orange flags?

thanks
    filton
  9. hpept

hpept Member

Hello Filton,
    some of these parts you're mentioning can be scrapped, as they were thought as parts that were never implemented or unused because I considered them too fiddly to build, fold and glue. The only that you must use are the orange strip marked to be folded that you can glue flat on top of the rear support, in contact with the belly of the orbiter, and the two shorter orange pieces, which you must fold longitudinally and glue on the tank body in correspondence of the white strips between the rear support legs.
    Remember that this is an old project (2003 i think, and my designer skills were really low) and the model was never thought to be released to public when I did it. More, I don't own the original anymore (it was a dwg Autocad file) which was lost in a HD crash, so I couldn't, and didn't need to correct it as I already built my model.
    Sorry if this is causing you some problems... just take it as a challenge more to finally enjoy the model... after all is free. :grin::grin::grin:

Roberto
  10. filton002

filton002 New Member

Hello Roberto

Thank you very much for taking the time to clear that up for me.

I am finding paper modeling a challenge and am very pleased you chose to release your model, things are comming along great when i get time to sit and put some time in. I will send you a picture of the finished thing it has certainly made my mind up to try a third model.

thanks again for a great model

filton
  11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Shuttle Stack by Roberto Falorni

Hi Filton,

I hope you found that picture helpful - I know I´ve seen other pictures of Roberto´s fine model out there.
    I promise to post a picture when my build is a little more complete - it isn´t assembled yet but it looks good.

Roberto,
    You have designed a geat model - one of the best things about it, in my humble opinion, is the rust-color of the External Tank.
    I think it´s very realistic and true to the original color and it came out really great on my printer.
    Must get that thing together now . . .

Muy obrigado,
    Bengt :D
  12. hpept

hpept Member

@ filton:
    I'm happy that my humble model contributed to make you want to try to build more models. There're plenty of free models, much much better than mine, that you can enjoy building as soon as your builder skills are improving. Please, when you're don, I would love to see a picture of your model.

@ Bengt:
    I agree with you. The best thing of the model is the tank colour. Why does it match so good with the original? Because i sampled the colour from a ref photo of the prototype.... I'm too smart!!! :twisted:
    I would love to see your model too when finished.
    Since you have yet to complete the bottom of the tank, I'll give you a tip. To make the shape nicely rounded, glue the tab to form a ring first, and then, using small pieces of paper, fold smoothly and glue the petals side by side, one by one, backing them with the pieces of paper. Fit is excellent if you do it right and it will close perfectly.