Shuttle Launch Pics

Discussion in 'Off Topic Lounge' started by kbkline, May 8, 2013.

1. kbkline

kbkline Member

Just thought I would share some of these with you guys. I'm a huge space fan. I've been to Cape Canaveral a few times and could spend days in the NASA facility with no problems. I was fortunate enough to get to see the engineers put together a piece of the ISS the first time I visited. I've been to the space center in Texas as well.

I went to the next to last shuttle launch. It went flawless and was the most beautiful thing (besides the wife :thumb:) that I've ever seen. Little did I know that I got some pics of the boosters separating until after I got back to where I was staying and brought it up on the PC. Enjoy

[​IMG]

Just clearing the tower:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a good pic of it turning
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you can see this (you may have to enlarge it) but this is where the boosters separated
    [​IMG]
  2. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator Moderator

WOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!! That is COOOOOL!!! I'm a big shuttle fan, too. These pics are great and I can imagine how they look in full resolution. Well done! Thanks for sharing!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::thumb::thumb::thumb::wave:
  3. kbkline

kbkline Member

I have a nice camera and I was trying to take pics with one eye and looking at it with the other lol. It's something I'll never forget
  4. Revell-Fan

I believe so. I think there is only one sight topping it all: the launch of a Saturn V.
  5. kbkline

kbkline Member

Now that would be a sight! Somewhere I have a packet of Apollo pics that my dad got for me when I was very young. I use to look at those things for hours on end
  6. DWest

DWest Member

Great photos! I wish I could have seen a shuttle launch but it never worked out, I did get to do the astronaut training experience which was a lot of fun even if we did crash on landing. Our "pilot" drifted off the runway and plowed up a lot of real estate....lol.
  7. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

Very nice sequence of photos. I always wanted to see a Shuttle launch, but it ws never possible. Just too far away. I did catch a glimpse of it in orbit one night zooming over head while an astronomer friend was over and told taught me how to see it. Just a dot of light. If you blinked, you would miss it. :)
  8. Rogerio Silva

Rogerio Silva Active Member

I'll never get tired of space and technology. Thanks for the pics, they're great!
  9. micahrogers

micahrogers ...And the Wife...

Only launch I saw I wish I could forget... Challenger's last launch my ship was in the debris field I could hear the pieces hitting the water thru my gear...
  10. Revell-Fan

What? You were there? Gee... That was terrible. I watched it in the news. I had just finished my little Revell shuttle model and couldn't believe what I saw.
  11. micahrogers

Radar tracked it's accent, my Sonar gear picked up the shockwave as it broke the Mach, then our radar guys went nuts, went from one track to hundreds.... then just a minute later I heard the pieces hitting the water.... my whole group got re-directed to look for survivors, then later to find and recover wreckage...
  12. Revell-Fan

Thank God you and your group weren't hurt by the debris falling down.
  13. kbkline

kbkline Member

Were you above or below water?
  14. micahrogers

Above water we were about 5K outside the actual impact zone.