Shuttle Launch Pics

kbkline

May 4, 2013
North Carolina, USA
Just thought I would share some of these with you guys. I'm a huge space fan. I've been to Cape Canaveral a few times and could spend days in the NASA facility with no problems. I was fortunate enough to get to see the engineers put together a piece of the ISS the first time I visited. I've been to the space center in Texas as well.

I went to the next to last shuttle launch. It went flawless and was the most beautiful thing (besides the wife :thumb:) that I've ever seen. Little did I know that I got some pics of the boosters separating until after I got back to where I was staying and brought it up on the PC. Enjoy

shuttle_pad.jpg

Just clearing the tower:
launch_2.jpg

launch_3.jpg

Here's a good pic of it turning
launch_5.jpg

launch_8.jpg

I hope you can see this (you may have to enlarge it) but this is where the boosters separated
launch_17.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
WOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!! That is COOOOOL!!! I'm a big shuttle fan, too. These pics are great and I can imagine how they look in full resolution. Well done! Thanks for sharing!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::thumb::thumb::thumb::wave:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I believe so. I think there is only one sight topping it all: the launch of a Saturn V.

kbkline

May 4, 2013
North Carolina, USA
Now that would be a sight! Somewhere I have a packet of Apollo pics that my dad got for me when I was very young. I use to look at those things for hours on end

DWest

Jan 10, 2011
Great photos! I wish I could have seen a shuttle launch but it never worked out, I did get to do the astronaut training experience which was a lot of fun even if we did crash on landing. Our "pilot" drifted off the runway and plowed up a lot of real estate....lol.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Very nice sequence of photos. I always wanted to see a Shuttle launch, but it ws never possible. Just too far away. I did catch a glimpse of it in orbit one night zooming over head while an astronomer friend was over and told taught me how to see it. Just a dot of light. If you blinked, you would miss it. :)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Only launch I saw I wish I could forget... Challenger's last launch my ship was in the debris field I could hear the pieces hitting the water thru my gear...

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
What? You were there? Gee... That was terrible. I watched it in the news. I had just finished my little Revell shuttle model and couldn't believe what I saw.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Radar tracked it's accent, my Sonar gear picked up the shockwave as it broke the Mach, then our radar guys went nuts, went from one track to hundreds.... then just a minute later I heard the pieces hitting the water.... my whole group got re-directed to look for survivors, then later to find and recover wreckage...

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Thank God you and your group weren't hurt by the debris falling down.