Show Us Your Freight Car Load Projects

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Heres a little fun project I am currently working on..Show us your load project..:D
Here is a picture of the car I am using as a guide line .
Picture-004-1.jpg

And the project-still have lots of work to do.

Picture-013-1.jpg

Picture-010-3.jpg

Now off to the club!:D

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
Hopper lost to the "Concrete Canyon" eh?

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. (Friday actually, lost a prized reefer to the floor).

Great idea though.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Rusty,That is--paint..Its a optical illusion that works quite well.The car isn't dented but,the way I applied the paint washes it appears to be dented...

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
I'll try to have one up this evening if I can get some decent pictures. Brakie, one of our club members built those same type of wrecked loads one was even a tank car. The dent's were so well done that it was a double take because it looked that real. These were custom built cars for customers but man they looked great. Your's is looking great too. A couple ding's and the side dented in on one side and it'll pass as a double take too. :)

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Here it is guys. I finished ths car about 2 weeks ago. Making hooks to hook into the tracks was no easy task but I did it. The chains are the ONLY thing holding the trackhoe to the car. I'm guessing it weighs roughy around 3/4 to a full pound. This is an extreamly heavy car, but sense it's going to be a part of my work train it won't be rolling much so there won't be much ware and tear on the trucks. This car is a P2k with Kato roller bearing trucks and Sergent couplers.

Attachments

• PICT0008.JPG
    PICT0008.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 207
  • PICT0006.JPG
    PICT0006.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 211
  • PICT0009.JPG
    PICT0009.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 211
  • PICT0007.JPG
    PICT0007.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 206

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Thanks guy's. I was going to mention sense the pictures aren't that great that the chains on the rear are crossed over each other in an "X" patteren while the one's on the front of the tracks are just straight over to the side's. All four have been hooked in from the inside of the tracks just like it's done in real life. There's also a chain running through the yolk right by the bucket from one side of the car to the other. I like these type loads becaus of the look and feel but boy are they a pain to put together from scratch.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Here are a couple of lumber loads that I did to fit specific cars. This one, on a Walthers GSC 52'6" flatcar, is hollow. The stacks are removeable, so I marked the interior of each noting the car-type that they fit.
100_5403.jpg

This one, also hollow and removeable, is built to fit an Athearn 50' flatcar. The flatcars have had the plastic deck removed and replaced with basswood strips; this had the added benefit of lowering the car slightly, so it hunkers down over its trucks. The bulkhead ends are parts taken from the Walthers cars in the first picture.
2007-01-10_310.jpg

This load of hydro poles was constructed from wood dowels, tapered and then "grained" with coarse sandpaper. All of the poles are full-length, as the wide and narrow ends alternate. The technique was outlined in an article in RMC. This load is also removeable, and fits only the Proto2000 gondola, due to the need for working drop ends. The idler car is a Walthers GSC, although any flatcar would work.
2007-01-10_511.jpg

These loads of machinery, being pushed into GERN Industries, are made of parts from the scrap box. The "bodies" are extra panels from a Walthers 89' trilevel autorack, with a few added on parts from MDC. I also added some scratchbuilt lifting tabs so the "machinery could be loaded/unloaded by an overhead crane. Each assembly is "welded" to a "steel" plate, which in turn is "bolted", through the blocking, to the deck of the car. In reality, the loads are removeable: the car closest to the loco is another Walthers GSC flat - its load, with the attached "wood" blocking (styrene), simply lifts out of the stake pockets. The tiedown rods are steel music wire, with the uppers ends bent and inserted (but not glued) into the lifting tabs, while the lower ends simply sit loose in the appropriate pockets.
The depressed centre flatcar is a cast metal car from Authenticast, and is from my very first HO trains. Each piece of blocking, both under the load and at the lower ends of the tiedown rods, sits on a strip of double-sided carpet tape. The placards on the stakes and blocking are "DO NOT HUMP" warnings.
100_54101.JPG

The following sequence of shots depicts a multiple car shipment of a large, overhead, electric crane. The crane parts are built from styrene shapes and sheet and all are removeable. Each is marked, on the bottom, with the car type that it fits, and in the case of the flatcar loads, also the particular stake pockets to be used. The gondolas are from Proto2000, while the flatcars are more Walthers GSC's. Because of their size, cranes like this are assembled on-site. There would be other large parts on open cars, plus some smaller components in boxcars. The first gondola, 4582, is a spacer between the locomotive and the train, and is empty.
100_53931.JPG

100_53941.JPG

100_53951.JPG

100_53961.JPG

100_53971.JPG

The blocking is styrene, with nbw detail added, and the blue signs are advertisements for the fabricator, Dominion Bridge.

Here's an easy load to model: an empty, but not yet cleaned, car. Depending on its next lading, it may not get cleaned, either. Left on the car floor is dirt (real), some gravel, a few lumps of coal, and lots of scrap lumber. The lumber was blocking under the load, or stakes to hold it in place, or dunnage, used between the load and the stakes to prevent shifting. Train crews would often scrounge this stuff for kindling for caboose or section house stoves. The scrap lumber is scraps of basswood that was laying around, some was left almost "new", while other pieces were stained to represent pieces that had been in the car a while. Like all of my loads, the junk is loose.
2007-01-10_5101.jpg

I have lots of other loads too, but no pictures available. They include many types of scrap (most protoype scrap shipped has been sorted, as to type of metal, size, or even particular alloy, as steel mills can be very fussy as to their requirements). Also coal and coke, gravel, steel plate and, eventually, machinery. All loads are loose material where appropriate and all are removeable.

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
FANTASTIC LOADS WAYNE!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: i know you posted those pics for the loads, but the weathering, structures, and other scenery just make for some AWESOME PICS!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D -Deano