Shoulda paid attention

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
Does anyone know the dimensions of those little shacks that were at every switch. Well meby not EVERY switch but say here in my "hometown"??? the siding was over a mile long and at each switch was a little shack fof the section man (my dad) to stay in when there was a snowstorm( and we had snowstorms then). They wern,t very big and if nobody knows I,ll just wing it(gasp) Merry X MASS

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
This is not CN, but pretty representative of alot of shacks. If the door is 36" wide, then the side of the building would be around 7-8 feet. I've seen smaller ones that looked more like outhouses, too.

Unless you're planning to model a certain switch (proto) and a particular shack to complete a special scene, or diorama, I'd just buy a few Grandt Line door and small windows and build around them. Something on the order of a 3/4"x3/4"x1" (actual size) would be perfect.

The second pic is of another shack at Vernon Junction in Vernon CT. It seems to be a rather nice structure. Neat bay window.

Hope these give you some inspiration.

Attachments

• Copy of switch shanty.jpg
    Copy of switch shanty.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Copy of LgVernon%20Junction04.jpg
    Copy of LgVernon%20Junction04.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 28

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
Thanks Zedob ,The first pic looks close, (40+years and too much self imposed mental abuse takes it,s toll) Since the sectionman (my dad) would have to stay at the switch till the storm abated I,m thinking there was a bench to lay down on .I think there was olso a van stove. thanks again