should get off the beated track some more

Bill Pontin

Spent the holiday weekend in the homestate. Off route 7 in Kent, Connecticut I saw a sign for a mining and industrial exhibit. Shucks, closed! humm, no gate - lets drive down and check it out anyway. Luckily I had my digital camera with me.

Think this ole narrow gager is going to need more than rope and baleing wire to get her up again.

Attachments

• mvc-014s.jpg
    mvc-014s.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 199

Bill Pontin

Here is another shot of her, on the right side of the tender, blacked out, is Edaville RR

Attachments

• mvc-013s.jpg
    mvc-013s.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 198

Bill Pontin

simplistic method to keep the sides of the gondola from balloning out. Left side of the picture is the bent rod end and support that goes down under the car for support. Wondered how they did that before composite sides

Attachments

• mvc-006s.jpg
    mvc-006s.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 188

Bill Pontin

Well no one came over and kicked me out, even though I was under and climbing on everything. Will have to get back up there when they are open and get some information on the exhibits or items in storage there.

Attachments

• mvc-004s.jpg
    mvc-004s.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 180

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Nice pics Bill! That shot of the gondola sure makes you wonder how things stayed on the track at all...!

Andrew

Tyson Rayles

That gondola is why it's so easy to find pics of narrow gauge derailments :D :D :D . That saddle tank is something you don't run across everyday, thanks for sharing.

interurban

Glad ya had ya camera

Hi Bill it`s nice to get of the beaten track and find some gems like that.
Well done .
Thanks for the posts, they are great
I wonder when they last had a head of steam??

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Nice photos Bill. At least there are a few places that try to keep these historical units from the scrap yard.

shaygetz

Lookit the onion bulb on that stack...Great pics...lemme at 'em though. Add to the baling wire a little Bondo, some paint an' a tube or two of JB Weld....we be smokin' in no time. Pass me them there Channellocks, wouldja?

cidchase

Thanx for those pix, Bill!
Great detail shots, you just can't find that sort of detail
without looking at the real thing!!:)

Lighthorseman

Great Pictures, Bill!

Wonderful stuff! Thanks for posting them. I sure do like that high-sided gondola, and feel sorry for those poor little locos. At least it is nice to know that they've not been relegated to scrap...:)

RailRon

Oh my, those are great pictures, Bill! Perfectly set in focus and lighting. Thank you very much for sharing them with us! They give lots of hints for superdetailing a gondola.

One question however: You say that the little consolidation was marked 'Edaville RR' - a 2 ft. line. Then the gondola is marked for the D&RGW - a 3ft. line. :confused: It's quite difficult to decide if the track gauge is two or three ft. (It looks more like a two-footer to me. :rolleyes: )
Now is the gondola a 'fake' Rio Grande car, or does the lokie carry the wrong markings?

Ron

Bill Pontin

Gosh Ron, I really don't know the answers to your questions. The gondola is narrow gauge 3 foot. There are three of my size 12s between the rails, I checked that. There were two gondolas, one restored and one probably in the works of being restored. I have no idea why it is painted up for the Rio Grande. The two gondolas were coupled together but I did not take a picture of them together. Directly behind them was the saddle tanker and then the consolidation as you calll it. The saddle tanker, now that I look back at the picture, seems to be sitting on two extra rails between the narrow gauge and may very well be 2 feet. I believe the Edaville consolidation was sitting on the 3 ft. narrow gauge. Would you believe I was there and never noticed? One of my club members, seeing the pictures, mentioned he had been there and that it may be closed permanently because they lost some state funding. They were also suppose to have a working steam engine, that may have been in the engine house that locked behind me. The same club member mentioned that they had a steam engine that had been shipped over from Hawaii. I am still trying to get some information on this display or storage and this is all hearsay and I would rather post factual information if I can find it.

Attachments

• mvc-010s.jpg
    mvc-010s.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 63