Shortline Freight Cars

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
While a great many of us concentrate on larger railroads (me included, what with The Rock and MOPAC), I thought it might be interesting to start a thread with models of our favorite shortline freight cars that get used on our layouts.

This is a pic of Galveston Wharves #1059. GW owned 200 boxcars at the time I model, numbered 1001-1200, all of 'em 50'6" inside length. The shortline operated 43.3 miles of road in the Galveston area, with 7 locos. They handled all traffic passing through the port of Galveston between railroads and ships.

Attachments

• gwf1093.jpg
    gwf1093.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 177

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
Mike, nice weathering job! Thanks also for a reminder of the smaller part of railroading - the shortlines which often go unnoticed.

Here in California, I fan the CFNR, California Northern and they have CryoPak cars that are used by a couple of wineries out of the Napa Valley.

If I ever see one or more of those cars in production I will snag them up in a heartbeat. They will look good behind my detailed GP15-1 in CFNR colors with a road number 111.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Babydot, Walthers used to make Cryo cars a few years back, Don't know if they still do. I have two of them, one marked for McCains and the other one marked for Carnation. I haven't seen them at my LHS in a couple of years, and looking through the 2002 catalog, I didn't see them listed.

upguy

Oregon Western Lines, CEO
Jan 26, 2001
Canyon City, Oregon, USA
http
One very small (less than 2 miles long) short line railroad used to serve a small lumber mill and grain elevator in the small eastern Oregon town of Union. The railroad was the Union Railroad of Oregon, and they had a fleet of boxcars until an economic downturn destroyed the boxcar leasing business. I plan to freeze time on my layout to the period when the Union Railroad of Oregon was still prospering, so I can switch a few of these unique cars.

Attachments

• uobox.jpg
    uobox.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 137

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
RIMike, & upguy,
Kudos to you both!
Those are some great looking models, & ones that will add a lot of realism, & interest to your layouts!
Very nice work!

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Thanks, Shamus, a good part of it's due to your process - the old india ink with dish detergent trick (I sometimes add water depending on the level of weathering I want). I use it on everything now. This one I didn't use chalks on, but I still do frequently. Then I drybrush the top with repeated coatings of rust and grimy black paints.

Excellent, upguy !!! Gotta love those shortlines (PS - according to the OER from my era (Oct-1981), they still had 65 boxcars operating).

upguy

Oregon Western Lines, CEO
Jan 26, 2001
Canyon City, Oregon, USA
http
RI Mike,

Thanks for the info. It is my understanding that the Union Railroad of Oregon operated until the early ninety's. My plan is to model the late eighty's, so the UO cars should still be in service. They interchanged with the Union Pacific near Union, Oregon.

Another short line that I like is the City of Prineville. They didn't interchange with the Union Pacific, but occasionally some of their rolling stock found its way over the UP mainline here is eastern Oregon. So, I gotta have some of them on my layout too. :D

Attachments

• copbox.jpg
    copbox.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 117

satokuma

Jul 8, 2002
Tualatin, OR
Got to agree with the Short lines. Weaned on Central Oregon and Pacific and now my own Freelanced BearCatRR is an eclectic bunch of shortline rolling stock....

CORP
Port of Tillamook Bay
Seattle and Northcoast
Willamette & Pacific
Portland and Western
Union RR of Oregon
St Marys
Columbia and Cowlitz
City of Prineville
McCloud RR
Yreka Western
OPE
Longview and Portland....and more with smattering of SP, DRG...

CORP_Box.jpg

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Thought I'd post a shot of one of Manayunk Canal Line's 50' boxcars bought fromm the Reading. Manayunk was a short line in Eastern Pa.

Gary

Attachments

• p1010121.jpg
    p1010121.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 91

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
This is just a test to see how small a size I have to reduce a photo to to get it to fit on the screen without having to scroll to see it all. Excuse me please.

Attachments

• p1010124.jpg
    p1010124.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 84

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
McLennan, Alberta, Canada.
Visit site
Originally posted by Gary H Pfeil
This is just a test to see how small a size I have to reduce a photo to to get it to fit on the screen without having to scroll to see it all. Excuse me please.

I find that 640X480 is a good rule of thumb!!

Drew

(see, fits good, no scrolling)

Attachments

• log car #1-902.jpg
    log car #1-902.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 51

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
Hey Drew, I was trying to remember where I saw this logger... :D
I have a bunch of white metal plates at work that I saved from the garbage can that are similar in size and shape to your scratch built flat car base. They come off of POS computer terminals and we throw them away by the dozens... How did you attach the trucks to your base? Do you create a "bolster" assembly or just stick a screw through the truck into the base? I an thinking of using some of these as "frames" for plank covered flats. They are almost the perfect scale (size) for a 40' flat.

Tom F

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
McLennan, Alberta, Canada.
Visit site
Flat Bottoms

tomfassett,

As you can see, I used 3/16X3/32 wood material for the center beam and was lucky to find that two layers glued together was the perfect height for my Kadee 501 trucks. And for the record, these are only 26 foot cars!

Drew

Attachments

• flat car bottom 001.jpg
    flat car bottom 001.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 18