Shortline Freight Cars

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by rockislandmike, Nov 15, 2002.

1. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

While a great many of us concentrate on larger railroads (me included, what with The Rock and MOPAC), I thought it might be interesting to start a thread with models of our favorite shortline freight cars that get used on our layouts.

This is a pic of Galveston Wharves #1059. GW owned 200 boxcars at the time I model, numbered 1001-1200, all of 'em 50'6" inside length. The shortline operated 43.3 miles of road in the Galveston area, with 7 locos. They handled all traffic passing through the port of Galveston between railroads and ships.

Attached Files:

2. babydot94513

babydot94513 Member in training

Mike, nice weathering job! Thanks also for a reminder of the smaller part of railroading - the shortlines which often go unnoticed.

Here in California, I fan the CFNR, California Northern and they have CryoPak cars that are used by a couple of wineries out of the Napa Valley.

If I ever see one or more of those cars in production I will snag them up in a heartbeat. They will look good behind my detailed GP15-1 in CFNR colors with a road number 111.
  3. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Babydot, Walthers used to make Cryo cars a few years back, Don't know if they still do. I have two of them, one marked for McCains and the other one marked for Carnation. I haven't seen them at my LHS in a couple of years, and looking through the 2002 catalog, I didn't see them listed.
  4. upguy

upguy Oregon Western Lines, CEO

One very small (less than 2 miles long) short line railroad used to serve a small lumber mill and grain elevator in the small eastern Oregon town of Union. The railroad was the Union Railroad of Oregon, and they had a fleet of boxcars until an economic downturn destroyed the boxcar leasing business. I plan to freeze time on my layout to the period when the Union Railroad of Oregon was still prospering, so I can switch a few of these unique cars.

Attached Files:

5. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

RIMike, & upguy,
    Kudos to you both!
    Those are some great looking models, & ones that will add a lot of realism, & interest to your layouts!
    Very nice work!
  6. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Michael, nice weathering job on the boxcar. :cool:
    Shamus
    [​IMG]
  7. rockislandmike

Thanks, Shamus, a good part of it's due to your process - the old india ink with dish detergent trick (I sometimes add water depending on the level of weathering I want). I use it on everything now. This one I didn't use chalks on, but I still do frequently. Then I drybrush the top with repeated coatings of rust and grimy black paints.

Excellent, upguy !!! Gotta love those shortlines (PS - according to the OER from my era (Oct-1981), they still had 65 boxcars operating).
  8. upguy

upguy Oregon Western Lines, CEO

RI Mike,

Thanks for the info. It is my understanding that the Union Railroad of Oregon operated until the early ninety's. My plan is to model the late eighty's, so the UO cars should still be in service. They interchanged with the Union Pacific near Union, Oregon.

Another short line that I like is the City of Prineville. They didn't interchange with the Union Pacific, but occasionally some of their rolling stock found its way over the UP mainline here is eastern Oregon. So, I gotta have some of them on my layout too. :D

Attached Files:

9. rockislandmike

This was a great idea if I say so myself; I'm learning all sorts of stuff about some shortlines I'd never heard of. Just looked up the City of Prineville, and there they are, 400 boxcars, numbered 7001-7400. Very kewl.
  10. satokuma

satokuma Member

Got to agree with the Short lines. Weaned on Central Oregon and Pacific and now my own Freelanced BearCatRR is an eclectic bunch of shortline rolling stock....

CORP
    Port of Tillamook Bay
    Seattle and Northcoast
    Willamette & Pacific
    Portland and Western
    Union RR of Oregon
    St Marys
    Columbia and Cowlitz
    City of Prineville
    McCloud RR
    Yreka Western
    OPE
    Longview and Portland....and more with smattering of SP, DRG...

[​IMG]
  11. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Thought I'd post a shot of one of Manayunk Canal Line's 50' boxcars bought fromm the Reading. Manayunk was a short line in Eastern Pa.

Gary

Attached Files:

12. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Dang. Wrong shot. Lets see if I get it right this time.

Gary

Attached Files:

13. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

This is just a test to see how small a size I have to reduce a photo to to get it to fit on the screen without having to scroll to see it all. Excuse me please.

Attached Files:

14. Drew Toner

Drew Toner Member

I find that 640X480 is a good rule of thumb!!

Drew

(see, fits good, no scrolling)

Attached Files:

15. tomfassett

tomfassett Member

Hey Drew, I was trying to remember where I saw this logger... :D
    I have a bunch of white metal plates at work that I saved from the garbage can that are similar in size and shape to your scratch built flat car base. They come off of POS computer terminals and we throw them away by the dozens... How did you attach the trucks to your base? Do you create a "bolster" assembly or just stick a screw through the truck into the base? I an thinking of using some of these as "frames" for plank covered flats. They are almost the perfect scale (size) for a 40' flat.

Tom F
  16. Drew Toner

Drew Toner Member

Flat Bottoms

tomfassett,

As you can see, I used 3/16X3/32 wood material for the center beam and was lucky to find that two layers glued together was the perfect height for my Kadee 501 trucks. And for the record, these are only 26 foot cars!

Drew

Attached Files: