Shop the Knob!

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Not too hard to make Clerk. I cut a square about 1" out of two different types of cloth. One is an old T shirt. The other is a synthetic fiber cloth that is very this and very stiff and resists stretching. The T shirt square becomes the dome and the synthetic the brim. The end of a small paint brush is used to make a hole in the middle of the synthetic cloth (it doesn't rip; it goes between the fibers) and it is set off to the side. Then the T shirt square gets a drop of glue in the center and it is stretched over the end of a slightly larger paint brush end. The the one with a hole is pulled over that and it's painted. after drying, the brim is cut round and the excess cotton is cut off the bottom side. A second coat of paint and it's done. The little guy who wears it will probably get half a headectomy as the dome has a lot of cotton cloth inside.

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
hats

Hey Jon I was wondering if you ever treid using the clay that you put in your links? My first thought was that you made the hats out of this material. I think if you roll out a small circle and then poke a small end of a brush thru the center and then bake it would come out the same.Seems like a good use of maybe the last few scraps.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Berg, I have not tried the clay yet. Shamus tried a hat in clay or epoxy of some sort and did not like the result. I think I could do a clay dome and use it with the cloth brim with good or even improved results.

Robin, they will fit O, I used a smaller paintbrush on one and it would be fine for HO. Tyson is probably going crazy this weekend trying to stretch cloth over a sewing pin for N :D :D :D

No prob., Clerk! Hope the instructions are clear. I could post pictures next week if anyone is interested in making their own.