Shipyard's 1:96 La Belle Poule build-up =)

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by gian7675, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Errr um.... hence the watereline model HMS Dreadnought ;)
  2. gian7675

gian7675 Member

hi ya!

Here are the next set of pics :mrgreen:

"Wooden planking" layer finished. Hull is fully "wooden" planked :cool:

Bow
    [​IMG]

Starboard Side (you can see also some mall details on the deck like those...ahrmmm...rectangular things :rolleyes:)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stern
    [​IMG]
  3. boj

boj New Member

Beautiful job! Just wish I could do as goo with a wooden kit.

Boj
  4. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Thanks for the comment boj. I'll pass it to my friend :mrgreen:

Pics for today.

Notice that he has added some short sticks to the edges of the ship...I don't know what they're called but the effec is nice :mrgreen:

He has also again doing some test fitting of the mast

Bow pic with single mast.
    [​IMG]

Deck close-up. I believe the little sticks are where the ropes are tied to?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. maaaslo

maaaslo New Member

la belle poule

Hi
    im quite new here, ive never post anything before in here.
    first i need to tell, good job. its nice to see someone trying to build that beauty.
    But at the second place... G, i have never seen something as horrible as using CLAY to fill hull with... that must weight a tonne. I will try ti give you some hints. try to use Mega Foam instead. it is light, hard to push into, really easy to work with, and it cost nothing. just buy one can and it will last you forever..you can cut it easily with just knife. use sand paper after, fill the accidental holes with filler, than sand again until smooth and u can glue first layer. it works like that:
    [​IMG]
    Its just an EXAMPLE...
    this way of making the hulls, has been invented by polish modelers. they can even do hulls looking like made of plastic, just by using this method.
    next thing is... do not try to do that model in 2 weeks. its imposible. better u will just leave it, until u will find more time. I cant tell, my one is not looking really nice, but at least im not trying to do it in 2 weeks. every ship is run for a long distance. also u can use acrylic paints, to make that model more realistic. Last few posts are showing la belle poule in quite advanced phase of building. But quality of work makes it just a sad imitation. im not trying to dissappoint u, im trying to help. dont work to fast, it really needs patience. and a LOT of patience. ship on last few pictures looks like a screw. its so kinky, that im afraid its ready for the bin... sad but true.
    for example, have a look on my one. BTW it takes me about a month to get it into that stage...
    [​IMG]
    im not telling its without any bugs, but without any irony, i think its looking much better.
    anyway, to give u another hint, forget about time spending by building that ship. bin it, and start again. u still can print it again and use printed parts without any problems. and with using a bit of paint... u can make a remarkableship.
    if anyone will need any help with that, just email me on palokiller(at)gmail.com
    i can explain nearly anything. and also i can help with translating polish instructions. i can speak polish quite good. also ive got few polish friends, who can help me.
    so, have a nice time with that model... it really deserve that...

p.s. BTW that wooden planking isnt really wooden. its actually copper... acording to polish instructions
  6. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Hi maaaslo! :wave:

Thanks for the comments and suggestions! You have a very nice hull that you have there :eek: I wish mine is that great looking.

Truthfully speaking, I was indeed contemplating on starting again from scratch when the problems with the formers first appeared. Anyway, didn't find out about the Spay Foam until I've placed the clay inside the hull. wall1 It does weigh like a small dog now :mrgreen: ...and a fat one sign1

The La belle Poule pics you're seeing now are by a friend's that made it 4 months ago. It's now in the sails stage. It may seem that progress pics are posted everyday but the pics are actually taken months/weeks ago. This is his first cardmodel and he's applied some very weird techniques to it (more weirder than the clay idea that I had).

Thanks for stepping forward. I'll be asking some questions regarding rigging when I continue/strat anew my La Belle Poule. Mine is still in drydock with the clay in it..and it now weights even more that the clay has dried up inside. I'm confused on some of the rigging lines as to where they should go to.

Anyway, here are todays pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mast with platform thighy attached
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From this point on, my friend had deviated from the Shipyard instructions and had done some modeler's license on the mast and rigging :mrgreen: Anyway, I like what he did from an amateur's point of view but it's probably a horrible thing to do for purists sign1
  7. maaaslo

maaaslo New Member

hi.
    i am really glad, i didnt annoy you. thats the last thing i want to do.
    the thing about using the clay is, that it really is too heavy. you cannot use too much. its good to make the galion figure, but nothing else.
    try that spray foam. but be carefull, it multiply itself x3 and more. so you need only a tiny bit. when i used it for the first time, i was scared. afraid of ruining of all the work. but after it dried out, it was really nice. after you will cut off all remaining bits, use filler to make surface smooth. sand it and enjoy it. it just take some experiences and some time to learn that technique. dont be afraid of it, just do it. you will be suprised by the quality of your work.
    the next think... i can see, that your friend has spend a lot of time, by building that ship. but tell him, not to glue all the parts onto the hull in advance. it really needs the order. also i can see, that he didnt glue any gun-carriages into the holes prepared. at this stage, it is impossible to do it. he have to leave all the gun posts closed. also all the ribs you can see, needs to be painted with some colour. some dark one, imitating the wood...
    to be honest, when i saw your cannons for the first time, i was surprised. they look good. i will just get proper ones from the shop. im too lazy to glue them. ill get them also with gun-cariages. for the main gun deck. they look great, so why not. it will just cost me a fortune. im from UK, here it cost about 2 pounds each.
    any questions, just let me know
    regards
    maaaslo
  8. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Hi again!

Comments and suggestions are really helpful so it's really great to have them :mrgreen:

Yup, he didn't put any of the gun carriages inside of the hull. I told him to follow the instructions in order and to put the canons and gun carriages inside before closing the hull but he didn't do it :cry: He says that he has a technique but I doubt that he'll be able to put the canons inside. This I have to see. Too bad he didn't color the insides of the formers in dark colors (I colored mine brown to imitate wood). You can indeed see some white paper showing.

Anyway, it's the joy of making the model that matters :mrgreen: he really enjoys making her during this last 4 months.

Thanks for liking my canons. Still need a little bit of work. I want a more shapely/curvy canon :mrgreen:

re: the canons, you'll buy the brass ones? I'm just curious, there are different sizes for the brass canons so how will you know which size to choose? La Balle Poule uses 3 types of canons. Big, medium and small ones. How will you determine which to choose from the assortment of brass canons the correct big, medium and small ones?

Anyway, here's today's set of pictures :mrgreen:

I have to admit, we have no idea on how to tie up the masts together so even if my friend asked me for help when he did this, I wouldn't have been any help either. I guess he just tied them up together.

The only reference he had was the Shipyard instructions and well...it's kind of hard to understand as to how the rope starts and ends where it's suppose to end.

The 3 masts goes up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is weird...I just noticed that the Walls of the Captain's Cabin are no longer within the bounderies of the stern wall. There's a gap now. I better ask him what happened. In the previous pics, the side walls were still within the bounderies of the stern wall.

[​IMG]
  9. maaaslo

maaaslo New Member

hello
    well, i know that there are 3 sorts of cannons there. im just gonna get the biggest ones. those on main deck. the rest, i probably try to make them. a friend of mine is gonna show me nice way of making them. i will refer then...

what the **** he just used for masts? is it part of wooden hanger? G is so thick. and its looking like its thicker in the middle, then on the bottom... that is not good. i know, in States, you probably cannot get original masts and riggings set. i havent got that problem. i already bought one. and it really is worth that price...
    about ribs: there are some wrong lines. if i will find plans, i will tell you which ones they are. and by the way, in the back cabin, floor is mich wider the it should be. it needs to by cut down a little bit. also main deck. i did cut off about 1-2 mm of both sides. have a look on this thread in polish board

it has been built by polish modeler. pictures are not really clear, but you can still see some details...my one, i need to use a bit of paint, because some glue just came out of parts. its looking bad. i will cover whole hull with glue, let it dry, then sand it. it will make a nice and smooth surface. i used it at the bottom of the hull it works perfectly.
    you also need to thicken the parts of model to right thicknes. by glueing onto the cardboard. if you are looking around you, you can find a lot of cardboard of right thickness. take a callendar. the last sheet is usually made of cardboard. and that is usually about 0.8mm thick. by glueing parts on it, you can get 1mm thickness you need to reach.. also, you can use sandwich method. just glue together impair number of A4 sheets of paper. 80gr/m2 will suit that. let it dry, under some heavy weight, like lots of books, or magazines. just make sure it wont stick to them.... maybe using cardboard from paper boxes of all of those cereals, like Kellogs, or anything else. just sand that shine part off. nothing can stick to that... and the main thing: use some liquid glue for paper. bin that horrible glue in stick. its the worse glue you can get. get a very sharp craft knife. its important. few tweezers, some scissors and a scalpel. with removable blades...i can make a picture of all the tools i use...
    i have to go now, its nearly midnight. and im working tomorrow.
    regards
    maaaslo
    just have a nice day.
  10. maaaslo

maaaslo New Member

sorry

i just finished reading of this post. (completly)
    I am taking back everythig i wrote about your friends ship. i didnt notice, that he is begginer. For a complete amateur, that is GREAT job. i remember, when i first finished any model, it was looking MUCH worse than that. and the thing about pages printed with wrong measures... if he done it using parts from those sheets... my god... my obedience.
  11. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Oh it's quite ok. Your comments and suggestions are really helpful.

We do wish we can do the model correctly and accurately but we don't have the materials for making card models.

Regarding the masts, he used chopsticks for it :mrgreen:

Again, still feel free to comment on it. I'll be using these pics of his to see what to do and not to do on my rebuild of the La belle Poule.

Thanks again for the heads-up on the wrong measurements of the captain's cabin and the tips on how to acquire the correct thickness of cardboard.:thumb:

Here's today's picture :mrgreen:

It seems that the bow mast is removable. It's now on a single stick instead of the 2 masts tied together.

Mast held together with masking tape! sign1 Anyway, he didn't leave the tape on. He eventually ties it like the first one in the previous pics.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow, pics of his unusual rigging style :eek: :wave:
  12. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Here are todays pics!

My friend did the rigging by trying to copy the diagrams as much as possible on the Shipyard kit.

The ropes he did by joining and twisting some ordinary thread together.

Instead of those wooden circulars things that the ropes loop into, he just did some metal rings. He'll fill up the middle of the rings in the future.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the outcome of his rigging in the next set of pics.

I wonder though...a question to sailing ship experts here...how do you decide on the thickness of the ropes for the rigging? I looked at the diagram and it shows different thickness on some lines. :confused:
  13. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Pics for today!

My friend has finished the "web" like rigging on the sides of the La Belle Poule.

He has also added some extra walls on the side of the ship. This is the white gun port like openings located in the middle of the ship. Another one of his modifications.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow, some sails! :wave:
  14. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Today's pics!

Some more rigging pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And her first sail!

One sail...
    [​IMG]

Two sails...
    [​IMG]

More pics tomorrow :mrgreen:
  15. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Here are today's pics! More sails go up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]