Shipyard is open

Darwin

Jim, so far the fit problems I've encountered have been fairly minor, and nothing that a few minutes in Photoshop can't cure. As always, the devil lies in the details (more specifically, the lack thereof). 2D depictions that look ok in 400 scale start to look pretty cheesy in 250, and omitted details (such as electrical distribution boxes) start crying out to be added. To get a really great model from a JSC enlargement requires a lot more effort that most people are going to put into it, So far, the best approach I've found is to enlarge the kit and build it without modification (as I'm doing with this build string) to find out where the fit problems are and to use as a guide for the redraw (for example, to identify the parts that really need to be colored on the back side of the parts, like railings, and allow identification of the model's focal points where 2D details really need to be worked into 3D parts. You really need to enjoy working with computer graphics to go down this path, but it sure seems to be a good way of developing fundamental graphics skills before branching out into doing original design work....which is where I eventually want to go once I have enough retirement income I can afford to pursue a job I like rather than one I need to suffer through in order to keep the bills paid.

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Darwin! :smile:

I hear you about the job...still trying to figure how I can afford to build models for a living while paying off the mortgage, medical bills, putting food on the table and clothes on the little one.

You do seem to have a wonderful knack and skill at re-scaling if not designing, as is evident from these builds, so it might not be such a far fetched idea as it might first seem to you.

I noticed what you said about the upscale revealing some 2D features as inadequate. I came across that in the Krakow, and felt I couldn't just settle for those printed bollards along the deck, and had to add something to the anchor winch, stuff like that. Those things are probably even more noticeable when you upscale.

Looking forward to more updates when you can!

Cheers!

Jim

Kevin G

3 at once! How in the world do you keep track of what part goes with each ship?
All 3 are looking great, hope you keep working on them and posting about them. I love reading the ship build threads. Guys like you are what keeps me into the paper model hobby, always there to show what you have done and explain how you did it so that the rest of us may learn from it.
Love those guns, and yes it does seem a shame to hide them inside a turret. Maybe you could design a removable turret so you can show off the guns LOL
Keep up the great work, and hope to see more progress reports soon!

Darwin

Keeping parts organized isn't that big a thing....I have a divided portfolio to keep the parts pages (and pieces thereof) separated and only work on one model at a time. Though there are some positive things to say about mix-and-match (some people call it kitbashing). The Z10 has a compromise solution for the detailed guns...the turrets are open in the back, so just pose the things turned away from centerline. This has it's own problems, though....the inside surfaces of the turrets now become visible, and call for some detail (or color at the bare minimum). Every solution creates it's own set of new problems.......

Darwin

This kitbashing thing is working out. For once I take no pity on those (including myself) with dialup connections and directly loading a couple of pictures. This kitbashing thing is working out....the 20 mm from the Wilhelmshaven digital kits (can't remember if it is from the Panther or the Z36, I've scavanged from both on this build) is on the fiddly side, but I think it came out pretty fair.

z10124jc.jpg

z10136bs.jpg

Darwin

Only progress on the Z10 this week. I was hoping to have it done today, but figured the light was fading faster than the number of white spots on the model. That is the problem with fiddly bits....they take a factor of four longer to build than the structure they fit onto.

z10163br.jpg

Darwin

The model came out well enough I'm strongly considering doing a redraw of the kit and doing a second build. Might make an interesting contrast.

Darwin

The guns from the Wilhelmshaven models really look good after assembly, but are a bit difficult to hold onto.

z10229ll.jpg

That does it for another week.

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Darwin! :smile:

They are looking just awesome from where I sit.
Interesting gun colors, I might add...I didn't notice the red coloration on the kit before, but I recall one of the battleships did something similar. For whatever reason they did, I think it adds to the interest of this ship model.

I have to give you a lot of credit, building all three at once, which usually means three sets of problems to deal with at once too! :wink: It is obvious, however, that you don't have a problem with that as the photos show a clean, crisp and superb bunch of models. Way to go!!

Looking forward to more, of course. :smile:

I was curious about your last comment, "tough crowd"? If you meant the long silence from your last post to today, I have to admit I have experienced the same thing from time to time, must be some sort of a delay factor. For me, I saw your updates last night, but I had to wait until this morning to re-visit and post a comment or two, getting the little one ready for bed and school to day, licking my wounds over the Eagles crash and burn, stuff like that....

I for one am very much enjoying this thread and your updates, so don't be discouraged at all by the lack of comments...build the ships and they will come. ;-)

Cheers!

Jim

Kevin G

The model came out great! Keep us posted on the others as you are able to. I am looking forward to how they turn out also!
Love those Wilhelmshaven guns, they look great.
Keep up the good work!

Ashrunner

I should probably try to build one of the eight or nine ship models I have here to really appreciate ship models. As for the guns, having not done any at that scale, and not being able to compare other designs, my comment is still...duh? 8v)

I have ordered Answer's PT-109 kit and it should arrive soon. When it does, into the scanner it will go and I will most likely work on my first ship. The fact that it is scaled to 1:100 is perfect for me, as that is my scale of choice...and I will then maybe understand some of the comments made by ship builders a bit better than I do now.