Shipyard is open

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Well, guys, I'm done with my little diversion into the aircraft forum. I can now affirm that, contrary to popular knowledge, building an airplane does not turn one into an insane, deviant monster. In fact, I have been oddly invigorated to get going on some back-burnered projects....all of them. BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Jim, I'm making another try at the 1:250 enlargement of the JSC Ward, as well as enlargements of the JSC Z-10, and T-24. Man, the Z-10 class is big for a destroyer....more like a destroyer leader. I haven't done any redraws, other than design an eggcrate framework. I will likely add a little detail as I go, especially with the T-24. It has some printed on thingies that are either paravanes or lures for trolling for Sperm Whales that are begging to be made 3D. I also browsed through a few Wilhelmshaven kits that have much better torpedo launchers and guns. For why so many at once, I found that when I was finishing up the Helena and Blue, I was able to keep up interest better by switching off between them than working on just one model from start to finish. However, when Joseph finishes up his Cr-42, I may just take another detour.

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Some progress to report. The intent of these builds is to allow a minimal time input to see if the kit is worth the effort to redraw. The simultaneous build thing seems to be working in staving off the dreaded builders block. First, the least far along....the T24 torpedo boat. If anything, it is even a bit larger than the Ward. The big problem so far is not enough bulkheads in the forward part of the hull. The complex shape of the bow really needed more in the way of internal support to come out looking right.

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Now the Ward. This attempt is coming out much better than the last attempt. The build is proving to be a bit of a challenge in trying to figure out how parts go together. For some reason, this model is proving more drudgery than fun...maybe the dark color of the kit is having a depressing effect on the psyche during the build. So far, I don't think it really lights my fire from standpoint of redrawing the model.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Wow, a Hat Trick! :smile:

Darwin, did you add to the internal formers on the Torpedo boat, as you suggested? The bow certainly came out great either way.

For that matter, the other two are looking superb as well!

Don't know how you manage to do it, but this is a real treat, to see three hulls being built at the same time...keep it up, mate!

Cheers!
Jim

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Jim, glad to see that someone is taking notice. I made egg-crate frameworks for all three ships. Not having a set of hull frames to work with, I was guessing a whole lot on the hull shape in the bow of the T24, and was hoping that with a minimal number of formers, the shape would work itself out. Wrong-o. The T24 is within a few heartbeats of becoming a sacrifice to the round file....as good as the parts fit was of the Z10 is, I expected more of the T24 than I've encountered so far. Redrawing the Z10 is only needed for esthetics. I'm beginning to think the T24 needs to be redrawn in order to build it. Even though they are in the same JSC booklet, I'm rapidly beginning to believe they weren't designed by the same person.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Hi, Darwin! :smile:

I wish I could explain why, with 424 views of your thread so far, there are only two posted comments, both by me, but I can't. Seems to be the same on my build thread too...I passed 10,000 views a week ago but there have been very few posts over the last few weeks. I know there are folks out there who have comments, suggestions or questions, just wish they would step forward and post.

Anyway, I have yet to add anything to the JSC builds I've made when constructing the hulls other than to laminate parts for added strength, so your work in making egg crate interior formers has me intrigued. At the smaller 1/400 scale the parts seem to be fairly sturdy, but I imagine upscaling introduces some weaknesses in the designed structure since the card is now required to provide the same support as it did over about half the distance. I could see where the extra formers are a big help, if not necessity in some areas of the hull, but the bow and hull on the T24 came out really nice, Darwin, so don't be too quick to deep six it just yet. It has an interesting hull shape near the bow, which I think you covered quite well, so I would hope you'll continue with the build. What types of fit problems have you come across? Do you think the upscaling created any of the problems, such as I have guessed? What weight paper/card are you using on the upscale, and have your used any lamination in any of the hull templates?

I for one appreciate the daring experiment of enlarging and building three kits at once, and I imagine others out there do too. "Build them, and they shall come...." Stick with it, Darwin, they are all coming along brilliantly. Just think about all those nice little details you'll be pulling your hair out over as you go along... :grin:

Keep at it mate, it's a great thread...hey, you're providing triple the pleasure with one click of the mouse! What a deal!! ;-)

Cheers!

Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Formers

Hi darwin

You and Jim are quite right about the amount of interest it's about zero these days even Kancho's brilliiant design has almost fallen on deaf ears. The main topic of conversation appears to be freebies.

Anyway back to ships have you thought of putting in extra longitudinal formers on the hulls to reduce the sag factor somewhat like a triple eggcrate.

They are looking good so far I like the Z10 destroyer.

Now that Jim has taken over as number one poster I might even do a few more.

Have fun

barry

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Jim, the T24 survives, but only just. I suspect the problems I'm encountering in fit are from errors that might be noticible but tolerable at 1:400, but become glaring at 1:250. The sides came out about 3/16 inch too short, the sides at the bow are a good 1/4 inch too tall, etc. The straw that just about broke the camel's back was the bottom layer of the bridge portion of the superstructure....no two vertical dimensions were in alignment....the two sides of the main structure were different heights, and those were different than the heights of the adjacent subunits....really a mess, requiring a bunch of cut-and-pasting in ImageForge to get usable pieces. However, the subsequent layers of the cake seem to be fitting tolerably well, so the thundering fist of doom has been avoided for the time being. One positive about this particular JSC kit (JSC 031) is the between-deck ladders....they are nice details for an inexpensive kit. Will have more photos to post by the weekend, so the string will continue.

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Here is a shot of the fleet on the ways as of this moment.

The T24 survives...fortunately, it appears that the fit problems were just with the first layer of the cake. Not much progress on the Z10. I decided to leave the T24 just as it was enlarged, but am doing a little kitbashing from some Wilhelmshaven models for details on the Z10, just to see how well they will integrate. The biggest contrast at the moment between the two models is the torpedo launchers.

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
The Ward has a fair amount of progress to show....however, it still doesn't really excite me that much.

The T24 is showing definite promise....I'm glad it avoided the thundering hand of doom.

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID

Well, that's it for this post. Things will be a bit slower from here on out, since I'm getting down to the fiddly bits on all three kits. As a teaser, I started an enlargement of the Admiral Hipper. It is impressive enough just to go immediately to a redraw, so is a couple of months away at the very least before paper starts being butchered for it.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
destroyers

Darwin

looking good so far the tubes look OK to me especially at 1/400th. I always did like the big German destroyers.

Look forward to Hipper another favourite of mine.

regards

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Lookin' Good. You're enlarging program is going great, it looks like the east coast shipyards have to get the lead out to keep up with your production. Thanks for the inspiration, T

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Hi, Darwin! :smile:

What a wonderful treat to see first thing this morning!
I am so glad you have decided to continue with T-24, as well as the rest, they are all looking great. They are, indeed, an inspiration!

Looking forward to more, particularly Adm. Hipper! I'm with Barry, there's something about those little battleships that are quite attractive.

BTW, how are you finding the upscaling on the JSC kits? Have you encountered any problems with the fit? Not that you see anything from the photos, just curious.

Thanks for sticking to these lovely ladies, Darwin, we really enjoy seeing them come together...including the fine work on the guns!

Cheers!

Jim