Ship model

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Gun shields

Hi

This gets too addictive. I resized the mounting plate and added the walkways to the torpedo tubes.Added the mounting platform for the pompom (4 barrels this time) and had a stab at the gun shields. Next stop funnels and then decide how much detail will fit on the guns ( if any).

PIC_1208.JPG

PIC_1209.JPG

PIC_1210.JPG

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
funnels

Hi

About hte 10th stab at the funnels I think they still need a couple of mm extra wrap arounf tobe right they are a bit stressed at the top. Trial and error bit here they were ok in paper but need the adjustment for using cardboard. I'm not sure on how they join to the deck yet plan set is a bit vague there. The after funnel does look a bit thin but it checks out with drawings. The bridge needs some sorting out as I have put in sponsons where they should not be at bridge deck level. All good fun though.

PIC_1213.JPG

barry

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Barry, nice work. There are several of the Wunderwaffe drawings that look detailed enough to design a paper model from. Any intrest out there in trying to do a collaborative design sometime in the future?

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
rebuild of deckhouses

Hi

Rebuilt the deckhouses to check the kinks in the design and also to get a uniform colour on to the ship. I still have trouble using the grid lines on the computer for measurement so the bridge sides were left long and the corner folds and glacis plate were worked in, then I rescanned the assembly. A good hearted friend supplied me with a true version of the turrets. I also added the aft searchlight platform. Next job get twin 4.7 " guns into the turret.

PIC_1215.JPG

PIC_1216.JPG

looks ok from a distance.

@darwin

Sounds like a good idea but I would need a lot more practice.

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Oh I don't know about that mate looks fine to me and on your first design 8)
I have the files so I know :D

More when your paws are upto it

Rob

wunwinglow

Jan 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
www.kipperboxes.co.uk
Barry, you did this with MSPaint???!!! Flippin' 'eck..... Treat yourself to a decent vector based program, and instead of being just excellent, your designs will be AWESOME!! Coreldraw is brilliant, anything from version 9 onwards will open and save pdf files, and you can do all the fades, transparencies etc as vector effects. Your file sizes will be 1/20th the size of an equivilent bitmap, and you will be working in REAL dimensions, on REAL paper, not all that pixel nonsense. Your lines will be easily editable, and no matter how much you zoom or enlarge, everything stays pin sharp.

I feel a tutorial or two coming on....

Tim P

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Barry, regarding the drawing package....I personally hold that the very best drawing package is the one you are most comfortable using. I suppose vector drawing packages are quite good, but I personally am much more comfortable using bitmap programs. I suspect it is because the first computer-assisted drawing I did was with a C-64, and the first machine drawing I ever did was on an etch-a-sketch (just shortly after they first came on the market). A psychologist could have a field day investigating this, but I suspect for old fogies like myself, bitmap programs are much more compatible with the technical skill sets of us seasoned citizens who first learned technical drawing on an actual drawing board using pen, ink, T-square, and all those other quaint old items gathering dust in the far corner of the attic. Vectors for drawing just ain't natcheral, gol dangit....vectors is for force diagrams. I have Corel Draw versions 1 through 9, Draw Plus, and a couple other vector-based programs, but regardless of how good they are reputed to be, I don't feel nearly as comfortable with them than I am with Image Forge, PSP Pro, or Paintshop. I also much prefer the final results of bitmapped images than vector images. Maybe for much the same reason, regardless of how technically superior my kids tell me digital music is, I still prefer the warmth and richness of the sound produced by my old analog vinyl (scratches and all)....digital may be absolutely the sharpest, most perfect sound recording possible, but it has no soul. I feel the same way about vector-based images. An "inferior" program that you are comfortable using is far more useful to you than is a "technically superior" program that makes you feel like it is fighting you every step of the way. Whatever works for you is always the best for you. (I still think you should give Image Forge a try, though.) To quote the great philosopher R. Nelson, "you gotta please yourself."

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Barry, regarding the drawing package....I personally hold that the very best drawing package is the one you are most comfortable using. I suppose vector drawing packages are quite good, but I personally am much more comfortable using bitmap programs. I suspect it is because the first computer-assisted drawing I did was with a C-64, and the first machine drawing I ever did was on an etch-a-sketch (just shortly after they first came on the market). A psychologist could have a field day investigating this, but I suspect for old fogies like myself, bitmap programs are much more compatible with the technical skill sets of us seasoned citizens who first learned technical drawing on an actual drawing board using pen, ink, T-square, and all those other quaint old items gathering dust in the far corner of the attic. Vectors for drawing just ain't natcheral, gol dangit....vectors is for force diagrams. I have Corel Draw versions 1 through 9, Draw Plus, and a couple other vector-based programs, but regardless of how good they are reputed to be, I don't feel nearly as comfortable with them than I am with Image Forge, PSP Pro, or Paintshop. I also much prefer the final results of bitmapped images than vector images. Maybe for much the same reason, regardless of how technically superior my kids tell me digital music is, I still prefer the warmth and richness of the sound produced by my old analog vinyl (scratches and all)....digital may be absolutely the sharpest, most perfect sound recording possible, but it has no soul. I feel the same way about vector-based images. An "inferior" program that you are comfortable using is far more useful to you than is a "technically superior" program that makes you feel like it is fighting you every step of the way. Whatever works for you is always the best for you. (I still think you should give Image Forge a try, though.) To quote the great philosopher R. Nelson, "you gotta please yourself."

wunwinglow

Jan 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
www.kipperboxes.co.uk
Sorry Darwin, I have to disagree with you here. For geometric shapes such as the parts Barry is working with, a vector drawing package will win hands-down, for the geometric aspects of the design. Simply no contest. Once the design is finalised, I can certainly see some advantages of exporting the vector data as a bitmap for 'painting', but only after the precision of the vector image and toolset has been used to its best advantage.

I understand what you mean about the cold brutality of vector imagery, but if you want something to go together accurately, what is wrong with that? Do the warm and cuddly stuff afterwards!! (Oooh err, missus, as the Late, Great Frankie Howerd would say....)

Tim P

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
@Darwin

You sound just like me although I think old dogs should try new tricks especially if the old brain is ossifying. I do miss my old drawing implements still, but I can't beat a scanner for speed of input on the original plan.

@Tim

If you feel a tutorial coming on please do it I always seem to understand the way you describe things. I will give Corel a go especially as I see they do a freebie download offer.

@all

I was playing around with metsequoia and I have a question if I have a primitive cylinder can I truncate it for example to make a raked funnel.

I picked the Tribal because it is a simple ship very clean lines and little deck clutter and an approximation to a scale model still grabs you. I can assure you Gil would throw up his hands in horror if he ran his ruler over it.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
4.7 inch twin guns

Hi

I borrowed Adriano's excellent 4.7's to find the spacing required on the mountings they will have to be redesigned as in real life the breech block end is a combined assembly where the breeches appear to be machined out of one block. This will probably be a help as it will be a bigger unit that I might get my fingers around a bit better. The black lines on the turret will be removed in the final build as will as many others as possible.

There was some daylight so I thought I would bore everybody again.

PIC_1217.JPG

PIC_1218.JPG

PIC_1219.JPG

twin47.JPG

Picture supplied by Rob shows the breech differences are quite striking.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
bridge mods

Hi

A few mods to the bridge a bit better but still not right must do these things when I am awake the director on top of the after tower on the bridge will probably end up as just a box with a wire through it at this scale. Apologies for the build and pic quality fingers need a rest.

Maurice was good enough to send me an update on the twin 4.7 I thought it was interesting so I'm putting it here.

gun4.JPG

The overhead rammer worked well but the shells and cartridges still had to
be hand loaded into the tray which was then swung across to the open breech.
It was used again on the twin 4.5".

There are also pics in the Vickers archive of the twin 4.7" mount with and
without the shield in place on the pages I've listed below. There may be
more. I'm glad that archive is back on line it was gone for quite a time
while they transferred it to the Docklands Museum.

PIC_1221.JPG

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Funnels etc

Hi All

Added the blast shields to the gun mountings and some new funnels plus my attempt at a 4 barrel pompom minus barrels of course. The carley float needs some work in spite of being 3 layers deep it still looks as flat as a pancake. Again my thanks to Maurice and Rob for all their help.

I used photoshop 4 for the last bits if it could draw circles it would be great and it would help if I remembered to blow the size so I get 1 cm rulers marked in 10 mm.

PIC_1228.JPG

PIC_1229.JPG

PIC_1230.JPG

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Deck houses

Hi All

Yesterday I got my new toy Siatki from Gremir and I have been playing I think it's great cos I understand the thing (not how it works my maths have gone to blazes) I don't think it will design hulls but on deckhouse etc it's like having a factory you put in your numbers check what it looks like in 3d and save it. Almost makes me look like I know what I am doing and it sure beats counting along rulers.

Anyway the pic is to prove the bridge deck etc fit like gloves. It takes me far longer to suss out getting several small bits on to one sheet than "designing" the part. (I did manage that in the end thanks to Rob).

Lot of fun Mike !!! Thanks for showing it

PIC_1170.JPG

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Hi, Barry! :D

Coming along brilliantly, mate. Me thinks you understate your design abilities, sir. :wink: She really is shaping out quite well. I hope at some point you can explain to us neophytes how you are designing her. I would love to learn how to create such a beauty from scratch some day.

More when you can, please.

Cheers!

Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Electric switch boards

Hi All

Got to find where some parts on Hood and got tired of looking so I shall bore you with a couple of shots of Eskimo.

PIC_1172.JPG

my latest attempt at the bridge some progress but I made a hash of a mod I put in manually. Shows the switch boxes

PIC_1175.JPG

Deck houses in the right place this still Adrianos fire control the Tribal type has a flat front thank goodness so it will be a straight chop out of the cylinder. Still having a ball with SIATKI makes a change I usually moan like hell about programs.

deck%20houses.JPG

The red loop shows the sort of stupidity I do most of the time I think I will have to get my old hand cranked calculator out I seem to go blind when reading numbers at the top of the page, but never mind it should be fixable in about 5 minutes.

Good job it's not a plane.

@Jim

When I sort myself out I will tell you what I did, but the first sentance will be go out and buy a ream of cheap paper and a large dustbin sack. I think a suitable title would be "designing for the mentally challenged".

barry