Ship hulls

jrts

Hi Gil

Looks good to me, could it be a frigate of around 1760 along the lines of HMS President :?: just a wild guess

Keep at it

Rob

barry

Hi

I have another question on foam filled hulls I used some of this stuff around the house to fill some cavities it turned into a ghastley orange/yellow colour after a while.

I wonder what will leach out through the paper or are people putting an outer coating on the stuff.

Has anybody seen one of these models after a year or so.

barry

Darwin

If you guys think this thread is a flame war, you should visit the political forum my wife frequents....you can toast marshmallows at ten yards from the monitor! As far as my input....I am a modeler, and whatever works, works. I personally am very attracted to card medium because of the wide diversity of subjects, scales, and dirt cheap (at least mostly, unless you have a major desire for a USS Forrestal....and I hope my wife never finds that invoice). So far as I am concerned, use of foam as a filler in boat hulls is totally acceptable, and indistinguishable from building the thing up as a solid block of laminated 2-mm cardboard, stuffing it with kleenex, etc. I prefer limiting it to use as a backing material to keep the paper from assuming the starved puppy look, but if you just think of the hull as being a platform for putting the paper really good stuff on, go for resin. Unless the end use is serious competion stuff, who really cares so long as the builder is happy with it? I wouldn't mind seeing the "traditional" and "unlimited" divisions for competition, so long as "tradional" means strict limitation to paper products, wire, thread, and clear acetate....no photoetch allowed.

Jim Krauzlis

Just one other thought, Gil :wink:

I think the planking by computer would be a good start but I fear one will still have to custom fit the planks anyway in the end to avoid some gaps between the planking runs. It might be a bit too much to try and get a single plank to run fair the entire length of a typical hull as well, since there are so many complex curves involved in the run, particularly in the bow and stern area. In wooden ship building the spiling is a real test fit and trial and error method. It would be neat, however, to use your method to calculate the gore lines, as they are called, that help define the planking run for a given width down the hull's side, but to use individually fitted planks for the actual planking. No reason I can think of why that wouldn't work, and it would take a lot of the guess work out of figuring out the planking runs especially for a beginner. The added benefit of this paper planking would, as in Max's ship boats, be the model would have a subtle series of planking lines just like the real thing, which I feel highlights the beautiful sweep of the planking on a wooden hull.

Just a few ideas, for what they might be worth. :D

Jim

Gil

Jim,

It's Joshua Slocum's Spray. What it began life as is still a mystery but it was the first solo circumnavigation of the World of which he later wrote about in his books.

Spray lives on as one of the best sailors known capable of following a set tack for hundreds of miles without touching the tiller bar.

Your thinking on computer generated strakes is exactly what I've developed. Just haven't unrolled them yet..., that's what Pepakura is for. The spiling was accomplished by hand the old fashioned way and it is somewhat tedious as it has to be adjusted and repeated several times to obtain fair results. This process may well be computationally imperfect (in other words something a computer can't do) as aesthetics are involved.

The intended planking operation on the ship would follow the time honored tradition only the planks should fit well enough to leave only a small gap which could easily be filled with a colored filler yielding a caulking effect. Planking generally twists very slowly as it traverses from bow to stern with cross sectional "cupping" reserved only for areas of the stern counter which should be easily afforded by a little forming. Using a little embossing before applying the planks would add additional faux strakes and would simulate fastening details. I didn't have to use any stealers or joggle boards in the design. These could be added as part of the embossing detail if required.

When all is said and done I believe this system could yield a fabulous looking model at affordable amounts of time. Something very important in completing sailing ship models.

Till then, Gil

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Gil!

Ah, I recall reading of this little vessel in either Popular Mechanics or Mechanix Illustrated many years ago, and I believe they even provided a copy of plans to build her! Sweet little hull, interesting wind vane like device, I recall, on the tiller to keep her on tack unattended.

This is an interesting concept and method to plank a hull and I am looking forward to any further developments when you have the time to go forward with this idea. The application to other ship types is unlimited, I believe, and would certainly provide a nice, doable alternative to someone who is not ready to whittle wood to build a sailing ship model.

A very fine sailing ship can be built of card and paper, as others have so admirably demonstrated in this forum and else where; Christoph's and Max's Cleos , Raimund's Bounty, Askold's frigate and Yuki's Victory all come to mind. I have shied away from the lower hull construction on those sailing ships so far until I am comfortable with building in paper because I might want to deviate from the method of construction using a planking method similar to what you are working on.

Please do keep us updated on how you work this out! :D

Cheers!
Jim

Gil

Hulls - Planking - Spray, Boston - Joshua Slocum

Jim,

A picture of Joshua Slocum's Spray out of Boston.

Best, Gil

Gil

Jim,

Things got unusually slow then posted it three times. Editing produced no picture. Shutting down the browser and starting fresh finally worked.

Best, Gil