Shaygetz-2005 Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
OK, I'll bite, starting with this pristine example, complete with no roof, no steps and plenty of goopy glue in the windows. Since I've always wanted one anyway, I'll just use the missing parts as an oppurtunity to personalize it for my road.

Attachments

• towertrash.JPG
    towertrash.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 142

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
After a bunch of Awana Grand Prix cars and with a serious deadline looming, I'm finally up and running. Because I needed a junction to justify the tower project, I'm building onto a two foot module normally used as a duckunder on the club's portable layout. It represents Matthyson, a sleepy point on the map where the B&MC and CSX meet at a crossing. Shown here is the beginnings of the rail and road crossing points done in Campbell ties carefully trimmed to rail top level and spec'd for clearence.

Attachments

• 2005a.jpg
    2005a.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 138

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Once tested (and tested and tested and tested...long trains are pulled thru here), I pressed a nail point into the ties to represent fasteners then stained it with a black felt tip marker. I simply sanded the tops until I was happy with the patina.

Attachments

• 2005b.jpg
    2005b.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 137

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Finally, I cut and fit asphalt shingle material to represent roadway. It's fairly easy to use and makes a very convincing roadway once weathered. I've started marking the roads with paint pens. Blast...I'm outta yeller so I'm off to Wally World...

Attachments

• 2005c.jpg
    2005c.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 134

Chris Beard

Oct 1, 2004
Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Bob, I've been eyeballing that section of our layout for quite some time. I'm glad to see it being worked on. I'm just sorry I didn't come up with the idea. Nice looking work. I will be anxious to see it in person.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks guys...

Jim...you gotta take a closer look at the left crossing...ooohhhh...'bout an inch from the end ;)

Yeah, Glen, I've been doing them that way for almost thirty years with very little change. This time I added the fastener detail and I am pleased with how that came out. The pics just don't do it justice...(as Bob pats himself profusely on his own back).

Chris, I've been looking at that spot for a long time as it can fit any car I own. You'll get to see it at GATS in 2 weeks. :D

An overhead view shows where the Atlas tower goes in relation to the other elements...

Attachments

• 2005e.jpg
    2005e.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 134

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I'm pleased with the roads, a detail that I've dreaded in all my model work. This time (and from now on) I used a product called Painters by Elmer's, found in the crafts section at Wally World. Using a thin metal straight edge, marking was a snap.

Attachments

• 2005d.jpg
    2005d.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 135

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
kadidle said:
Bob, is that the rolled shingle matterial? Maybe upside down? Roads are my bane, and have been looking for good matterial myself that isn't going to cost 3 arms an a leg.

Welcome to The Gauge :wave:

It's the backside of standard three tab shingles picked up all over the place here in hurricane country :eek: ;)

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Because the B&MC is a class 2 branchline, signaling is an unnecessary expence. However, some means of traffic control is a must where the B&MC crosses the CSX main at Matthyson. Like other small roads, crossing gates or "smash boards" are used to control access to the mainline. The CSX guys in the tower must clear the train before the engine crew can unlock the gates, move the train thru, then relock the gates. B&MC crews are to never leave the gates unlocked at any time. Because of the footwork involved, the move can take upwards of 20 minutes hence the final authority lies in the hands of the tower crew. Our crews take delays well though, they're paid by the hour and the tower guys have a shaded table and soda machine to help pass the time.

Here the smashboards have been installed, made from brass wire...that...can...get reeeeally hot...if you're not...careful...soldering.... :eek:

Attachments

• 2005h.jpg
    2005h.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 66
Status
Not open for further replies.