Shay Demo Train.

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
In another thread about a scratch built B&O tender I mentioned a 4 truck flat car I built to carry a shay on trips around the country to demonstrate it. Seemed like a logical thing for Lima to do, considering how slow they were. I got the idea when MDC came out with the set of 3 ( I think) Shay decorated cars-- i got & built the set & then made a 4 truck flat car to carry the loco. here are some pics of that car , showing the bolster I built to do it & one of the tender for the train. I know it looks pink!!, but its the color that the MDC shay cars were!

Attachments

• shay demo 1.JPG
    shay demo 1.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 14
  • shay demo 2.jpg
    shay demo 2.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 15
  • shay demo 3.JPG
    shay demo 3.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 16
  • shay demo 4.jpg
    shay demo 4.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 12
  • shay demo 5.jpg
    shay demo 5.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 16

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Here are pics of two of the 3 MDC Shay cars. I only recently found the box car on E bay . Now I guess a little photocopy work will give me logos & copy to make a cabbose. What do you think --a bobber?
Yes , I know one car is missing an end rail & one is short a coupler. One day I will get "A Round Tuit" & then I will fix that.

Attachments

• shay cars 1.jpg
    shay cars 1.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 12
  • shay cars 2.jpg
    shay cars 2.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 15
  • shay cars 3.jpg
    shay cars 3.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 13

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
HUH! I never noticed it before ,MDC made those cars different colors! That sucks.

Despite the many fights that have been fought in MRR clubs over the years, no standard colors really existed in the 19th century.

Colors were made by mixing Sherwin Williams pigments in buckets each time the paint shop went to work. Two boxcars paint D&RG Indian Red would be different shades. Same thing with two "chocolate brown" passenger cars. Further, the sun would bleach out various colors. After a time, the varnish would be rubbed off and a new coat would be applied. It is actually a sign of poor modeling if all the boxcars are the same shade of red.

It looks just fine with them being different shades :thumb:

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Despite the many fights that have been fought in MRR clubs over the years, no standard colors really existed in the 19th century.

Colors were made by mixing Sherwin Williams pigments in buckets each time the paint shop went to work. Two boxcars paint D&RG Indian Red would be different shades. Same thing with two "chocolate brown" passenger cars. Further, the sun would bleach out various colors. After a time, the varnish would be rubbed off and a new coat would be applied. It is actually a sign of poor modeling if all the boxcars are the same shade of red.

It looks just fine with them being different shades :thumb:

Happy to hear that, especially in light of the fact that I just discovered that there is yet another car ( besides the unbuilt boxcar ( that belongs with this train, I had it stashed in an odd box, & it is another shade !
I also stumbled across an OLD brass Mantua 4 wheel bobber caboose that I've had for years . A little restoration & some wheels should make it perfect to finish this train off & it will undoubtely come out yet another shade of red.

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Beautiful work!

I suppose you realize that you will need a modular layout soon to operate your demo train on. You know you won't be able to handle having it just "sit there"! Then a depot, a few buildings, some people....:mrgreen: