Sexist and Racist Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zathros

I had to Ban a person today, his first day, as in the span of a few hrs, he joined, I warned him about his comments, he acknowledged and promised to watch his remarks, then decided, somehow, sexist, and racist comments were O.K. There are too many reasons that one could use to try and explain this behavior, so I won't bother. I will just post the immediate consequence.

You will be BANNED.

Sexist and Racist comments will not be tolerated.

This is an International forum, these kind of remarks, even if off the cuff, are disparaging, insulting, stupid, unthoughtful, the list goes on. Long and short of it is we don't want people who need to express those sentiments here, and this forum is about card models, trains R/C cars and if that isn't enough, then go somewhere else.

We all are working hard to make this a good forum. We have. No one is going to come in a ruin it. Thanks! :)

zwave343

the human lazor
that is sickening! what has happened here? whoever has to stoop as low as to make another human feel sad and miserable is utterly pathetic. it's a shame you have to deal with these kind of matters zathros, if only those kind of people just would find something better to do than make others feel miserable.

Z

Zathros

It happens seldom enough. It only takes one comment like that to drive away a lot of people. That's why there can be no slack. We're just making paper models, designed, or building, there is no need to do that. There's no valid explanation. I spent hours last night thinking about how callous and off the cuff the remark was. My wife wants to to bail on all of this. I think that's running away though.

I marched against the Klan. I walked along with Americans who were demonstrating back in the 1960's against segregation and racism. I was a kid, but I was there. I got chased down by police for it too. I didn't run then, I won't now. :)

Those racist and sexist people aren't even a minority here, they are nothing here. If there are any, their heads will remain low, and as long as they keep it in their heads, then it's their burden to bear. :)

Z

Zathros

I worry for the person who makes it past me and falls into your hands! :)

Z

Zathros

You guys give me too much credit. Honestly. You guys have set the tone for this forum, and it is very easy to see what you want because you all treat each other decently. All someone has to do is "lurk" here a while, and they should be able to discern how to behave for it is shown by example, not acted out on because of some rules. :)

zwave343

the human lazor
at all my friend, you deserve more credit. im glad that there is one place in the world that i can come to without the fear of being mocked, and for this i thank you=)

Yes, Thank You Zathros and all the others here. It's nice to know there is a *safe haven* where everyone tolerates and understands each other. There are disagreements, but that is to be expected in a family, and we *are* a family here. Have to admit, don't know if there are any female modelers here or not. And it doesn't matter. We're here to share a hobby.

Years ago, was in another news group. People from all over the world. We shared a common theme. Again we had times we didn't agree with each other. But it was all very civil and we learned from each other. Same applies here. Thanks Everyone!!!

tjbmurph

I just have to add my thanks! I have a 10 year old who likes to look over my shoulder at pictures of models and I've never had to worry about what she might read. So while thanks to Zathros and the other moderators, thank you to the members too!

Bomarc

Good moderating John. I suppose what has me scratching my head the most is how discussing paper modeling (or model building in general) could lead to racist, sexist, or any other "ist" comments.

Just what the heck was this guy building (assuming he was building something)....?!!!! :confused:

Z

Zathros

Good moderating John. I suppose what has me scratching my head the most is how discussing paper modeling (or model building in general) could lead to racist, sexist, or any other "ist" comments.

Just what the heck was this guy building (assuming he was building something)....?!!!! :confused:

It was a nasty comment in a "movies that we like" thread. That's where problems usually occur, those kind of "General Threads". Sometimes, it is where expressions of great humanity occur also though?!? Flower have to grow in dirt, I guess we were dealing with a weeds.

I share your sentiment Bomarc, people have huge holes in their lives, they feel it with unwholesome feelings, and that overflow spills out of the hearts. It's a common theme in society. :cry:

blue2k

I honestly do not think, that in this day and age, there can be a place for racism or sexism. The very idea, that someone is "better than someone else" simply based upon their genitalia, or melanin levels is abhorently stupid. I think it says more about the lack of education of the perpetrator, than it does about the target.

Rogerio Silva

As a newbie in the "forum habitat", I must say that I am ALWAYS worried about what to write or not. And since English is not my native tongue, and I am not as good in it as I should be, it makes me twice as much as worried.
But two things have given me some peace of mind here: 1) my conscience, and 2) something that ZATHROS said, which is the example that all of the members do set.
I once heard a saying in the Navy, that I think fits perfectly. I am sorry for the translation (it comes from Brazilian Portuguese), but it goes like this: if words convince, examples drag out. I hope it makes sense in English!
Thank you all for the good work, and also for the great ambience. I feel at home!

Z

Zathros

We are the ones that make a forum nice. That "We' includes you too. :)

lordnexis

why would anybody wanna make trouble in a hobby forum or any place for that matter. its 2014 and will be 2015 soon, its time to grow up people. if a person makes a dumb remark, don't give them the gratification of a provoking a nasty remark. in the real world smile and say have a good day or something like that. in cyberspace its allot easier. just block them or report it. let the rude comments pass like water dose of a ducks back. just let it go.

Ron Caudillo

Creative Advisory Consultant
Staff member
Here, Here!

Thanks for keeping this forum to the high quality we all want!

Now, let's get back to designing, building, and sharing!

Best Regards,

b0bman

it is in each of us the power to censor ourselves and to watch what we say and do in front of people (online & in reality). some people do not realize what power words can have on someone else. calling people names online is easy because they think they're untouchable- that to me is cowardly. it is also unwise because when you want to call a person a bad name think about this: what names do people call YOU?

Status
Not open for further replies.