Setting the Scene

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
right, having decided where my line is based and what time of year it is i want to know;-

what sort of things would instantly tell someone looking at my layout that it was fall in New Hampshire?

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
ross31r said:
...what sort of things would instantly tell someone looking at my layout that it was fall in New Hampshire?

Fall foliage, & rural scenery, with New England-type architechture...

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
oh ive got a few good images but i want like a signature building of tree or something that says New hampshire as soon as you look at it!

Being based in the UK im not really sure whats typical of New Hampshire and whats not!

Jac's Lines

Jan 28, 2005
Rochester, NY
A couple of random ideas:
-Sugar Maples (which turn bright bright red in autumn)
-White clapboard churches with one central high spire
-Greyish-brown granite rock faces with sharp edges
-The Old Man of the Mountain or Mt Washington in a backdrop. The Old Man of the Mountain is the signature landmark for New Hampshire, but it fell in the winter of 2003.
-Signs advertising the world famous Mount Washington Cog Railway

There's an old Hitchcock movie called The Trouble with Harry which takes place in rural Vermont (not New Hampshire, but close). It's a pretty decent depiction of a typical New England town/architecture/etc. in the autumn, with eye-popping fall foliage. You could get some inspiration from there maybe.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
A few "don'ts":

No cactus
No barren, rocky hills
No wide streches of sand
Stay away from palm trees
also, no Mesquite or Palo Verde trees
No Spanish-style architecture
No unpainted wooden buildings

All these are traits found in the west and southwest US.

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
ive got some of the woodland scenics tree kits (one of which contains bright red and orange foliage colours) would these do for sugar maples?

Also, my "towns" are fairly substantial so i dont know if a wooden church is suitable (might be for one of the minor towns).

I havent got any plans for plam trees ro the other ones (whatever they look like) on the traction line - they are strictly for my N gauge californian line, and i dont like cactii anyway so none of them for me!

Have a wooden building but going to paint the exterior panelling white (is this suitable or would a largish warehouse have been a different colour?)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Here's another New England staple, Ross...the covered bridge...

Attachments

• covered bridge.jpg
    covered bridge.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 32

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
already got one being built as a project for a side road that the interurbans dont go down - dont think they would have had a covered bridge with an interurban track through it, would they?

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
this sorta scene with a nice heavyweight interurban pulling out of the bridge

14_full.jpg

:thumb: :D :D

another case of modellers liscence - they do now!!!

now where did i put that bridge???

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Antique store...Surrounded by cars with New York liscence plates.(Leaf lookers from the city)
Also, here in New England, no matter the size of the town, there's also a white wooden church somewhere.
FYI...Maine Central did have a few rail Covered bridges, in Hew Hampshire.

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Hi, I'm going to model the autumn a little southwest of you. I plane to have mostly green trees with the yellows and oranges scattered throughout, just like the photos posted above. Today I found a great place to get my fall trees. I went to JoAnn Fabric and craft shops. They have the fall follage 80%,70%, and 50% off. I got these bushes with tiny beads (leaves) of red and orange, and various shades of green. You can take one bush (regulary $5.00, now $1.00), and cut off the individual clumps into 5 separate trees. They look like aspens to me, and are very similar to the golden tree peeking over the covered bridge. The trees I made are about 5 inches tall and would look good from HO guage all the way up to G guage.

I (over)spent to the tune of $32.00 but I will get about 30 of those trees, and about 10 trees with the big round canopy like apple trees, plus another 10 that will be scrawny trees to mix into a stand of trees.

The leftover stems that I did'nt use will produce trunks for pines maybe 6 or 7 inches tall (probably 50 of them).

If you don't have a JoAnns store near you, try any arts and craft place (especially a big chain).

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
ross31r said:
right, having decided where my line is based and what time of year it is i want to know;-

what sort of things would instantly tell someone looking at my layout that it was fall in New Hampshire?

All the suggestions given are good and they all ring true. One thing that I always noticed about New Hampshire was that it always seemed clean, and neat and tidy, although I've only been there a few times. If you really want to set the proper mood, turn down the temperature in the layout room until you can see your breath. :)
"Live Free or Die"

Wayne

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
GeorgeHO said:
... I plane to have mostly green trees with the yellows and oranges scattered throughout....

I built an N scale layout with fall scenery...
I used the Woodland Scenics clump foliage that comes in the bag with 4 colors...these colors were a little too bright/intense for my liking, so I toned them down by mixing all of them in a blender (got one at the thrift store for $3) with some WS Burnt Green...
As George suggests, keep plenty of green trees mixed in...this really makes the color stand out...also include bare trees...this adds to the realism.

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
ive got mostly green trees - four packs of them - from WS, only got the one pack of fall colours so going to be mixing them in, mostly along the roadsides.

Havent got any bare trees yet despite my layout being set in late autumn. Does anyone make a halfway decent white boarded church?

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I use twigs, & weeds & such from outdoors to make my tree armatures...& I always include a few bare ones, regardless what season I'm trying to depict.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Here are some pics of the N scale layout I mentioned...

aap.jpg

While I was trying to depict eastern KY, I don't think NH would be that much of a stretch...?