Seth Godin Talks About What's Wrong With Hobby Stores

There was a hobby shop in the McCormick Railroad park in Scottsdale Arizona by the name of Gerry's Trains. It was a cramped store in a historic building in the middle of the park. Gerry was an older individual, and the store was cramped and dusty. But he had quite a bit of interesting stuff in there! Looking back, it was a pretty cool store.

The problem was, Gerry wasn't open very much. He wasn't open on the weekends much, and generally wasn't open when the park was very busy. I don't think it bothered his business, because most of his customers were hobbyists who would come to the park just to go to his store - they werent the casual park patron who just stopped in.

From what I hear, the city did not like this. They wanted a store in their park that would be open when the park was busy (weekends and special events) and that would cater more towards the general public. So, one day, Gerry was gone, and in his place was a branch of Roy's Train World (another LHS in the area).

The main Roy's store is great. At first, the branch store in the park was 80-90% model railroad stuff. Roy's was also open during the summer concerts, and on the weekends. But as years went on, the store has sold less and less MR stuff, and more kids toys, candy, etc. I would say now, the store is 75% toys and candy, and 25% MR supplies.

Kevin

Remember Jerry's well! along with the antique store across the way,many a happy hour going through both....Well remember the day i walked inand stood looking in the back room at this HUGE ol' locomotive headlight ...took a min. or two to realise it was the same as one as on the front of this avatar....GN.! but it was sooo' Big! in all that time never realised the size of those things lol! no price on it and the next time i was out at Mc cormick it was long gone....Ah' just as well....what the hell would i have done with it? and the wife would have blown a gasket when it wound up in the family room....sign1

Mountain Man

I've thought about creating a local narrow gauge shop. We used to have a place with a narrow gauge section almost as impressive as Caboose Hobbies' ng section, but the old owner (an HOn3 guy) sold the business and the knew owner has no interest in NG (but a nice guy).

The NG specialty shops seem to be in the Mountain time zone (imagine that)...and they typically seem to think that a discount means that they'll sell you it at 99% of the full list price.

I'd like to open up a narrow gauge discount store...Sn3 and On3 stuff at the sorts of discounts Fn3 scalers, N scalers, and HO scalers are used to seeing (50% of list price). I'd also have an internet mail order business. But then I remember that this is my hobby...and I don't want selling stuff to become my hobby.

I can understand why a store would diversify...so long as they knew what they're doing. I view a trip in most hobby shops to be equivalent (for me) of going into a heavily diversified store (the O sections are always Lionel dominated...so it's completely worthless to me...as are all the modern N-scale pieces). Ironically, my primary LHS is a large toy store with a substantial train section staffed by helpful, friendly model railroaders.

I could easily see myself running a fine restaurant with Viennese Coffees, a narrow gauge hobby shop, and a bookstore all rolled up into one. I could make it work...I certainly couldn't sell scuba gear too!

You would probably do quite well. As for the Viennese coffee, I think an old fashioned stove, a few rocking chairs and just plain old coffee would be enough to get modelers talking, planning and buying. :cool:

You make an interesting point about the new owner - his store policy is dictated by his interests, rather than the market.

iis612

iis612, you should check out Des Plaines Hobby Shop if you ever get up in the area. I would be interested to see what you think about it.

It is only the 2nd hobby shop I have been to in the Chicago area, but it seems FAR superior to the first one. The first hobby shop I went to was in Park Ridge, and I just really didn't get a good vibe there. I guess I would say that your desciption of Walt's reminded me of this place.

However, this hobby shop in Des Plaines (located on Lee Street) is probably about 85% ALL ABOUT TRAINS. If I remember correctly, the only other hobby I saw in there was model kits (airplane, ship, etc). The had a great deal of N and HO scale stuff, and to a lesser extent S and O. I haven't bought much there yet, and I really don't know if the prices are good or not :eek:ops:. If any other Chicago area Gaugers have been there, I would like to know their thoughts on this place, because to me it seems like it could a promising first LHS for me.

I have read about that one somewhere before, and have been meaning to stop in there. I live too far south though, Plainfield/Joliet area. One of these days when I have business in that area, I will definately stop in. Thanks for the tip. :thumb:

nkp174

You would probably do quite well. As for the Viennese coffee, I think an old fashioned stove, a few rocking chairs and just plain old coffee would be enough to get modelers talking, planning and buying. :cool:

Perhaps offer alcohol laced coffee, and they'll be more likely to purchase expensive stuff! But it still has to be Viennese coffee beans...even if I serve it like normal coffee! I guess, I'd have to deal with a lot of returns if alcohol was selling my merchandise :mrgreen:

Mountain Man

Perhaps offer alcohol laced coffee, and they'll be more likely to purchase expensive stuff! But it still has to be Viennese coffee beans...even if I serve it like normal coffee! I guess, I'd have to deal with a lot of returns if alcohol was selling my merchandise :mrgreen:

Not if you give them enough! :mrgreen:

"Honey? Do you know where I got this? Groan....I can't remember..."sign1

nkp174

Not if you give them enough! :mrgreen:

"Honey? Do you know where I got this? Groan....I can't remember..."sign1

:roll1:

Back towards the topic again...I recall that the majority of Fortune 500 companies are still founder run. The reason is that they really know the business and stick to what they know...rather than bringing in a Harvard MBA whom doesn't know the business and tries to make up for it by diversifying to much.