Set for 5yo Grandson

okinhim

I am looking for help in getting my 5 yo grandson a train set. My brother and I had an old lionel when we were growing up but I haven't looked at trains since then. Could you recommend a set that would come with a reasonably good setup that I could expand from later if he really gets hooked ( i don't doubt that I would but I am already hooked on a couple other hobbies trap shooting and RC heli) but not cost too much in case he doesn't. I could go for N or HO depending on the input i receive. I would rather not have to do any soldering of connections but can if i have to to get a track that is more than just a circle or oval . He is a very careful and contolled kid when it comes to things i tell him are delicate or breakable. He spends a lot of time at home watching tv or playing video games that i want to give him something differant to do. I even thought about setting this up at his house if we can keep his 2yo sister from attacking it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Rick.

shaygetz

I would highly recommend the Bachmann Thomas the Tank engine or Percy train sets for him. The track is self locking and the equipment is well made and runs real well, too. The track is expandable and easily available.

L

lester perry

shaygetz said:
I would highly recommend the Bachmann Thomas the Tank engine or Percy train sets for him. The track is self locking and the equipment is well made and runs real well, too. The track is expandable and easily available.
:thumb: :thumb: I agree I have the locos on my layout for my grandson, They run good. The only problem is he would rather run my trains as they are bigger and they are mine. So if you have a layout I would suggest giving him his own separate from yours.
Les

okinhim

I don't have any train gear at all and am not sure we could leave something up permanently. I was looking at the possibility of a set that wasn't a pure oval, but from from the email i guess I could just add track with switchers right. Is there a reasonable set that would already have the better layout. It doesn't need to look like a kid train.

rick.

L

lester perry

I feel the bachman set would be very good for 5 year old. You could also get some of the videos / DVDs to go with it. There are many many of them and they are good stuff. I would recomend the original movie first. I can't remember the name of it now. I think it is Thomas and the magical railroad or something like that. Someone out there in internet world help me out here.
Les

Russ Bellinis

I think a 5 year old would probably be better off with a Lionel starter set. The rule of thumb is the smaller the hands the bigger the train should be. Another good one is the Playmobile set. It is built on a LGB running gear and runs on LGB track, but has minimal detail and few small parts to be more kid friendly. It also works with all of the Playmobile little people.

L

lester perry

Russ you may be right about that my grandson also has a Lionel G scale thomas which is / was easier for him to handle. But I don't think they are made anymore. I still think Thomas is the way to go because of the stories ( DVC/video)that you can get. I know my grandson . Loves them and names my locomotives after the thomas ones. He relates one to the other. They also teach good moral stories.
Les

N

nachoman

I am going to second the suggestion for lionel, and for a thomas set. Get a lionel thomas set!! O gauge has advantages for younger people: It is easier to see. It can be set up on the floor. Kids like to change the track arrangement, and like to see the train go under a chair or through cardbaord box tunnnels. O gauge takes up about the same space as HO simply because the lionel trains are made to run on really tight radius curves. Also, the larger trains are more rugged for less careful hands. They cost a bit more, but I think it is worth it to get something that will last a bit longer. A 5 year old can destroy an HO set in just a few weeks.

kevin

davidstrains

nachoman said:
I am going to second the suggestion for lionel, and for a thomas set. Get a lionel thomas set!! O gauge has advantages for younger people: It is easier to see. It can be set up on the floor. kevin

I agree to a point here. While the lionel's and other sets can be set up on the floor, you should put it either on a solid wood floor or put a sheet under the track to keep it off the rug. The lint on the rug can get into the mechanism. While would not be as bad as if you were using a smaller scale locomotive(ho of n) the stuff can accumulate.

If you use the sheet method you might do a father/son project to draw streets and other features on the sheet (old one that mama has let us use) to place buildings, cars, tunnels, mountains, and other objects.

Have fun

okinhim

THANKs

Thanks everyone, I was not expecting this much of a discussion. I think i'll be looking for the lionel trains to see how much they run. I really appreciate all the input.

Rick.

Pooh Bah
Rick: remember that you are not stuck with the brand of the first train you buy. There are t least 2 or 3 major brands that are compatible with Lionel (Track is not always compatible -- in the last 10 years thay have made major progress in non-compatibility) but an attractive expansion car could come from MTH or K-line.
Same with the large scale. I think there are some coupler problems there.
And HO is 95% compatible. Again, there are 2 major types of coupler, and the track in the sets has gone like O gauge. (One major toy chain stocks train sets with one type of track and sells extra track that won't join to it.)