Selling On eBay Is Hard Work!

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
I've listed several items to whittle down my O gauge collection over the last few days. I still have a lot more to go. I listed 6 new items tonight and my brain is tapped out. It gets hard being creative for each item to make it seem special. Anybody else a regular seller on eBay? How long can you make new listings before the ol' brain gives out on you?

CRed

I hate selling on E-Bay!I had a NIB Athearn RTR CP AC4400 along with 5 Athearn freight cars on E-Bay and all I got was almost $10 in fees taken out of my pocket after listing it twice.Apparently $75 for all that stuff is too much for people,maybe I should have added "Rare" to the description since they're all out of production:).Anyways it's a lot of work and the fees suck!

Chris

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
CRed said:
I hate selling on E-Bay!I had a NIB Athearn RTR CP AC4400 along with 5 Athearn freight cars on E-Bay and all I got was almost $10 in fees taken out of my pocket after listing it twice.Apparently $75 for all that stuff is too much for people,maybe I should have added "Rare" to the description since they're all out of production:).Anyways it's a lot of work and the fees suck!

Chris
Actually, the eBay fees aren't that bad. I average about $1.50 per auction. (Mostly because I list stuff low) If you add "Rare" or "Vintage" to the listing, it usually brings 'em running. Well, unless you list it as "Rare" and there are 30 auctions for the excat same item on eithe side of it. :D

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
a lot of my items I "copy & Paste" descriptions and change a few words.. i have a 55% - 60% sales rate :)

If someone wants something they'll bid on it.. As far as the fees.. Yeah - if you sell anything for more than $50.00 you get socked :( By e-bay & Paypal :(

As far as "Rare" and "Hard to find" I use them sparingly, there are too many auctions that use that type of language :( :(

But most of the time, it's more than you had in your pocket last week, at least that's how I justify it....

I list from 10 - 20- items a week...

Torpedo

Selling on eBay is an art, not a science. Like any art, it takes some time to understand the nuances of the medium. For instance, it helps if you understand:

1. Starting with a high minimum bid puts people off. You are better off with a low starting bid and a reserve price. Best yet, a low starting bid and no reserve.

2. Descriptions need to be very clear, without any hint of ambiguity.

3. Unclear or high shipping/handling charges will run off bidders.

4. Large pictures -- the more the better -- help dispell potential bidders' doubts about the item (or confirm them, if it is a piece of trash). The point is, clear and detailed pictures are one indication of an honest seller. Remember, just because you know what it looks like, doesn't mean the bidders have the first clue. You have to show them. That requires clear and detailed close ups. Best bet, links to your large pictures hosted elsewhere.

5. If you don't take PayPal, you will cut your potential bidding audience by half of better. Right or wrong, a huge number of bidders prefer PayPal over other payment methods.

6. A clear statement of condition and exactly what is included is required. An abiguous or missing statement of condition is a red flag.

7. Excessive disclaimers and/or conditions, especially if couched in hostile terms, will run off bidders. No one likes to deal with an a******.

Just some thoughts. Care to place a bid? :D

CRed

N Gauger said:
a lot of my items I "copy & Paste" descriptions and change a few words.. i have a 55% - 60% sales rate :)

If someone wants something they'll bid on it.. As far as the fees.. Yeah - if you sell anything for more than $50.00 you get socked :( By e-bay & Paypal :(

As far as "Rare" and "Hard to find" I use them sparingly, there are too many auctions that use that type of language :( :(

But most of the time, it's more than you had in your pocket last week, at least that's how I justify it....

I list from 10 - 20- items a week...

I was just being sarcastic with the "Rare" comment,I personally wouldn't use the phrase unless it warranted it.

Yeah you have more money then you did before,but if you just paid $80 for the engine a week before then add five cars,including a Covered Hopper and 62' Tank Car as enticement you'd like to get atleast close to your initial investment.If I listed it again,that would be $12 in fees so if it sold for $75 and that's a big IF,that would be $63 for the engine and cars

I've actually sold everything I've put up on E-bay before this time(3 items!),but it took a couple trys and I took much less then their worth.I ended up listing in two categories an d paying double the fees so it cost quite a bit.I have to say,that is the biggest rip off on E-Bay,charging you double to list in another categorie.They should atleast give you some sort of discount as a part of a package deal or something.

Chris

railohio

You're not going to get what you paid for them because they are no longer new. Doesn't matter if you didn't run them or even take them out of the box, if it's not from a reputable dealer it's not new anymore. Yes, some genuinely rare items sell for more than their original cost, but those are indeed not common.

Right now I'm looking to fill in a few holes in my railroad library. A number of titles I'm looking at acquiring are still in print and available discounted. I certainly wouldn't spend more on a secondhand copy than I could get them for new. Similarly, a used book is going to need to be significantly discounted for me to consider getting it over a new one. Some people are content to spend a buck or two less and get the used one. Some people are even content to buy the used one for a buck or two more than a discounted new one because they don't know the other option exists. I, on the other hand, try to be a bit more cautious with my spending.

zedob

Torpedo said:
Selling on eBay is an art, not a science. Like any art, it takes some time to understand the nuances of the medium. For instance, it helps if you understand:

1. Starting with a high minimum bid puts people off. You are better off with a low starting bid and a reserve price. Best yet, a low starting bid and no reserve.

4. Large pictures -- the more the better -- help dispell potential bidders' doubts about the item (or confirm them, if it is a piece of trash). The point is, clear and detailed pictures are one indication of an honest seller. Remember, just because you know what it looks like, doesn't mean the bidders have the first clue. You have to show them. That requires clear and detailed close ups. Best bet, links to your large pictures hosted elsewhere.

5. If you don't take PayPal, you will cut your potential bidding audience by half of better. Right or wrong, a huge number of bidders prefer PayPal over other payment methods.

6. A clear statement of condition and exactly what is included is required. An abiguous or missing statement of condition is a red flag.

7. Excessive disclaimers and/or conditions, especially if couched in hostile terms, will run off bidders. No one likes to deal with an a******.

Well put:thumb: However, I must say that ebay buying trends are confusing to follow sometimes.

shaygetz

I'll back Torpedo...I thoroughly enjoy selling on Ebay. I find it the best way to get the most for any given item. Sure you get skunked once in a while but that's life. My policy is to list 3-5 items every 3 daze. Then partially box them, waiting for the final sale. You're done in a snap when it's all said and done. Don't use their checkout features or their postage calculator. And yes, you've gotta do Pay-Pal. I know there are those who say it causes global warming, premature balding, scabies and kills defenseless baby seals as some bonehead is sitting inside your keyboard ready to bleed your life savings dry as he runs away with your children and all that but it works and works well. :thumb:

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Torpedo said:

I do most of those things.

The one that always messes me up is shipping though. I don't want to overchage but I usually get the shaft on shipping. I sold a Marx trainset a couple of weeks ago. The guy paid $35 for the train and $20 for shipping to Baton Rouge. Turns out that the box I used to pack it in was over sized and light weight. As a result, shipping cost me $71. More than the guy paid for the item and the shipping combined. :cry:

CRed

shaygetz said:
I'll back Torpedo...I thoroughly enjoy selling on Ebay. I find it the best way to get the most for any given item. Sure you get skunked once in a while but that's life. My policy is to list 3-5 items every 3 daze. Then partially box them, waiting for the final sale. You're done in a snap when it's all said and done. Don't use their checkout features or their postage calculator. And yes, you've gotta do Pay-Pal. I know there are those who say it causes global warming, premature balding, scabies and kills defenseless baby seals as some bonehead is sitting inside your keyboard ready to bleed your life savings dry as he runs away with your children and all that but it works and works well. :thumb:

As far as I'm concerned it's frustrating.To know that several people are watching,then after seven days of hoping and nobody pulls the trigger it makes me want to pull all my hair out:curse:!

It is especially frustrating when you see people bidding more for an Athearn BB just because it's handrails have been painted and a couple details added.Oh,and of course it's "RARE"!:rolleyes:

Oh well,I guess there isn't much I can do about it so no sense whining about it anymore.Maybe I'll give it another shot since I don't need it or maybe I'll put it up for trade here and see if anyone might want it.

I hate the shipping calculater also,I've been burned a couple times because of it although not nearly as bad as Cannonball has.The USPS charges way too much for larger and irregular shaped packages I think.

Chris

N Gauger

Torpedo said:

Great points!!!! Yes, I'd deal with you :) :D :)

N Gauger

Cannonball said:
I do most of those things.

The one that always messes me up is shipping though. I don't want to overchage but I usually get the shaft on shipping. I sold a Marx trainset a couple of weeks ago. The guy paid $35 for the train and $20 for shipping to Baton Rouge. Turns out that the box I used to pack it in was over sized and light weight. As a result, shipping cost me $71. More than the guy paid for the item and the shipping combined. :cry:
I did that ...... Once!!!!!

You have to play by the rules.. e-bay, Paypal, USPS, UPS.... whatever................

When you have an item, that looks to be around 2 ft in any dimension, you have to find a box FIRST!!!!!!!

Measure it by the "Size" examples on USPS... and see if it's a "large package" or oversize...

That will fix the shipping costs.. Also, in the "Shipping & Handling fees" in the postage section of the bid, I put $1.50. This is a fair amount to pay for my boxes, packing and gas to get it to the post office....

If I'm perfect on the shipping, the $1.50 usually pays for my e-bay fees :)

N Gauger

CRed said:
I was just being sarcastic with the "Rare" comment,I personally wouldn't use the phrase unless it warranted it.

Yeah you have more money then you did before,but if you just paid $80 for the engine a week before then add five cars,including a Covered Hopper and 62' Tank Car as enticement you'd like to get atleast close to your initial investment.If I listed it again,that would be $12 in fees so if it sold for $75 and that's a big IF,that would be $63 for the engine and cars

I've actually sold everything I've put up on E-bay before this time(3 items!),but it took a couple trys and I took much less then their worth.I ended up listing in two categories an d paying double the fees so it cost quite a bit.I have to say,that is the biggest rip off on E-Bay,charging you double to list in another categorie.They should atleast give you some sort of discount as a part of a package deal or something.

Chris

I agree - there should be discounts for multiple categories :(

Yes, i see your point - My stuff is all 2 years old or older.. :( As far as re-listing, if it sells the second or third time, you don't pay for the $0.75 cent re-listing (one picture & listing cost)

N Gauger

shaygetz said:

Warning!!!! Yes, he's right - - Just remember - use a separate checking account for Paypal - WITHOUT OVERDRAFT PROTECTION!!!!!!

Get a debit/charge card for that one account only... and use ONLY that account on the net for anything you want to buy.

Be sure the bank allows you to transfer funds online for free - most do! This will allow you to constantly move money into & out of the "separate" checking account

Take ALL extra money out of this "separate - e-bay-paypal" checking account, except for necessary funds...

Mine stays less than $50.00 all the time.....

Now, "when" someone hacks into Paypal, like we all know they eventually will...... you only lose a minimum of FDIC insured money.. :)

basically I buy something, transfer what money I need to into the account, pay for the item and the money comes right out & into Paypal :)

If someone pays me.. I withdraw the money from paypal and when it clears to my bank (3 days) I transfer the money to my main account :)

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
N Gauger said:
I did that ...... Once!!!!!

You have to play by the rules.. e-bay, Paypal, USPS, UPS.... whatever................

When you have an item, that looks to be around 2 ft in any dimension, you have to find a box FIRST!!!!!!!

Measure it by the "Size" examples on USPS... and see if it's a "large package" or oversize...

That will fix the shipping costs.. Also, in the "Shipping & Handling fees" in the postage section of the bid, I put $1.50. This is a fair amount to pay for my boxes, packing and gas to get it to the post office....

If I'm perfect on the shipping, the $1.50 usually pays for my e-bay fees :)
Fortunately there won't be any more train sets being sold by me.
Everything I'm selling now will be in smaller boxes!

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
The buying habits of people change often and fast. When you have a common item it can even be worse. You should search the last few days to determine the price that your item has sold for. Offering all forms of payment will increase the chance that you will find a buyer. Charging the actual shipping charges is a plus, even if that means making a trip to the shipper in advance. Keeping your shipping charges to a minimum is important and offering insurance as an option is best.

Posting a minimum bid anywhere close to the selling bid dramatically reduces your buyers. A fair honest description with clear photographs works best. However the only clear thing that determines what your item will sell for is buyer demand.

In any event it is like a yard sell you put the item out in the open and if someone likes it along with the price they will buy it.

A good tip on the wording! Do some research on items sold and review their wording it should give you some clear ideas.

[FONT=&quot]Good luck![/FONT]