Seen in Houston - SOO Lines Loco

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
That's a former Soo line unit that was returned to lessor CEFX and put in their short term lease fleet. Note the giant line through the road name and the new reporting marks on the cab.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
I had a feeling it was no longer actually a SOO loco. I'm not that up on all the mergers and such. Is SOO still in existence? I know I like the paint scheme and also the boxcars with the huge SOO on them

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
No. The CP, always a major owner of SOO, became its sole owner in 1992. Even SOO's identity as a distinct subsidiary is vanishing. I often see CP covered hoppers that were built in the 1990s with SOO sublettering, but no such newer equipment. I know some of CP's AC4400CWs are SOO units for tax purposes, but they don't show it. Presumably, those came after the covered hoppers.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Every now and then I see Candian power and rolling stock down here. It is always cool to see them. The rolling stock I see is covered hoppers, but I wonder if they are hauling grain or plastic pellets. The cars are usually headed south down to the refineries. Plastic pellets are a major product around here.

There is a storage yard over by the Houston ship channel that will hold over 2000 covered hoppers. The plants make the pellets 24/7, they load them in covered hoppers, put them in the yard, and then ship them out when a buyer purchases them.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
I saw one of those former SOO units roll through here the other day. Possibly the same one since the unit was headed south from Missouri.