Seen any great Train movies lately???

hooknlad

While laying on the sofa with a bad back, I was watching the "Peacekeeper" with George Clooney. I was thinking of seeing how far this thread might take us. Anyone seen / remember any , Shows with great train scenes??? I was also watching early lil rascals dvd's-lol , their is alot of great old steamer footage as well. If any movies come to mind, please post them. This should be a long thread. :wave:

MilesWestern

Nice SP footage in one episode of Rockford. TONS of wonderful train scenes to be found in Chaplin, Keaton, Laurel& Hardy (?), and HArold Lloyd. A particulat Harold Lloyd film comes to mind that was filmed in Carisso Gorge outside of San Diego, AMAZING Real footage of steam engines, huge bridges, and steep cliffs! It can be found in the DVD "slapstick masters" Definately worth a look!!! :thumb:

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Von Ryan's Express was on AMC also today.
Where do I start.
Runaway Train...The Cassandra Crossing....Emporer Of The North Pole...The one with Kirk Douglas and Frank Sinatra, Where they rob the Daylight......Silver Streak....Back To The Future III......
Who can forget that A-Team episode where they stop the cattle rustlers...Its the eighties, and some shortline is still using steam.

Lighthorseman

"Bite The Bullet" - A tired horse-race story, but lots of narrow gauge footage, with many shots of a K-27. Worth the dollar rental. :D

MilesWestern

The One where they rob the Daylight is Called "Tough Guys"

Wallace and gromit have The most excellent scene involving a model train ever!

Model Trains are also featured in Stephen Speilburg's "Close Encounters of the Thrird Kind"

Polar Express...(duh)

babydot94513

Member in training
There is one episode of Banicek (spelling) that involved a train and the theft of a fancy sports car that was being shipped via rail. To this day I swear that every time a re-run is shown on the tube this one is the one being shown.

JD

N

nachoman

ATOMIC TRAIN!!!

crap, that was bad... especially when cal ripken fell off the caboose.

kevin

Gary Pfeil

Alfred Hitchcock's North By Northwest has several great shots of the 20th Century Ltd, including interior shots of the diner and a sleeping compartment. Also, Silver Streak.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Thanks MW...Must be my age creeping up on me.
Remembered this one....The TV show"Alienation". The human detective had an N scale layout in his apartment.

Drew1125

Some of my favorites have already been listed...

Runaway Train (the train was the star in that one!)

Emperor Of The North (Ed, is that the one you were talking about? This one had Lee Marvin, Ernest
Bourgenine (sp) & a young Kieth Carradine)

Von Ryan's Express (that one had Sinatra, & Trevor Howard)

Silver Streak (did anybody ever notice that they had the engineer on the LEFT side of the cab?)

Last night I caught Joe Kidd on cable...it has that great scene where Clint Eastwood drives the train into the saloon, & kills all the bad guys!

What I like more than anything, though, is that whenever a train shows up in anything on TV, my 2-year-old grandson becomes so excited, he can barely contain himself! :thumb:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Love the train shots on "North by Northwest!" As I recall there are similar scenes in the original "Manchurian Candidate" with Frank Sinatra...including a shot of a GG-1 and interiors of a Pennsey lounge car.
Ralph

PennCentralFan

The Station Agent. An indie film that came out about two years ago. Stars Patricia Clarkson and Michelle Williams and a little person in the title role.

The star of the film--the little guy--is a railfan. Railfanning and chasing trains are part of the plot of the film. I would say the best train movie of all time.

Bob Collins

One of my favorites is a movie called, of all things, "The Train" with Burt Lancaster. It takes place in France during WWII. Lancaster is enlisted as the engineeer who helps to keep the Nazis from moving valuable art from Paris back to Germany.

Another one is "The Grey Fox" about Bill Monor the train robber. I may be drawn to that one as Bill was in my family tree somewhere several generations ago:D :D

Bob