Seen any good structures to Model anywhere

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
You're right, Christopher - this is a strange house, indeed. Don't know why, but to me it looks a little like a spooky place. Perhaps because most of the windows are only black staring holes... :eek: :eek: :eek: (Is it inhabited???)

But for modeling this is certainly a fine challenge - I like that right-angled roof to the inside of the court.

As far as I know, lots of American barns have this type of roof. And Chris (Interurban, this time :D), you're right - this type of roof is called a Dutch roof or a gambrel roof. (Not that I'm an architect - you just made me curious and so I did some googling, ya know :))

Ron

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Very interesting building indeed. On my old street there were a number of houses with that style of roof, also called hipped roofs. Or as we called then when we were kids "barn roofs". But whatever it's called, that will sure make a great model!!!

Val

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
Wow stopped to look at this thread last night and didnt stop looking till I had gone through every one. starting tomarow I will be bringing the cam to work with me to catch some of the great midwest structers that we have around here for yall.
Also kinda makes me wish I had the camera along on some of the family trips that we had taken in the past as I have always loved to look at old houses and such.
Anybody else find themselves looking at the world and seeing everything in scaleon theyer layout?? The wife says I'm getting way to deep into this and thinks I am going nuts little does she know I went there as soon as I pulled the first set out of the box LOL

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Yes, you're absolutely right about that! Since I started model RRing I look at the world differently than I did before. Rusted junk has become a thing of beauty to me for one thing, and my friends and loved ones can't understand why we have to stop the car to get photos of trash barrels, scrapyards and dirty alleyways!!!! No one has quite accused me of being nuts yet, but I do get some odd looks!!! :D :D

Val

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
I think it used to be a caboose

From what my uncle that used to work the rails in town on the Union Pacific told me when I was younger this was made out of a caboose that they converted to house the workers when they needed it now its owned by somone private

Attachments

• Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 125

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota

From what my uncle that used to work the rails in town on the Union Pacific told me when I was younger this was made out of a caboose that they converted to house the workers when they needed it now its owned by somone private

Attachments

• Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 116

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota

Attachments

• Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 119

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
This is a neat little house that we have in town

Not sure how to spell it but this is a quonset house we have in town not much to it but might be fun for somone to model

Attachments

• Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 121

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
Turn table pics

I took pics of the turn table in the yard also if anybody would like these toss me a line :thumb:
And Hope you all enjoy the other pics whatever your opinion let me know how I am doing if you would
Mike

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
You are doing just Fine Dat73, the last picture reminds me of a lot of homes built in the UK after the war, they lasted a long time. They still build them for quick storage units. :) :thumb:

btw I have slept in a few army barracks built of corragated tin like that, happy days :wave:

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
These are interesting buildings, Mike. Thank you for the four-side-views - that's ideal for modeling!

If you want to know more about Quonset huts, here is a link, telling who they were invented. And here's another one .

Chris, I also spent a few nights in such a hut during my military service. We used it as the barrack for the guard, and I remember that, due to its tin skin, it was noisy and cold inside... :( But some years later I visitied a painter who lived in such a hut. He had isolated it and it was quite a cozy place.

Come to think of it - this could make a fine home for a big layout! :D

Ron

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
RailRon said:
Chris, I also spent a few nights in such a hut during my military service. We used it as the barrack for the guard, and I remember that, due to its tin skin, it was noisy and cold inside... :( But some years later I visitied a painter who lived in such a hut. He had isolated it and it was quite a cozy place.

Come to think of it - this could make a fine home for a big layout! :D

Ron

We had a pot belly stove that glowed red :D yes it was warm enough ;)
Abofoyle have there huge model R/R in the same type of building Ron. Neat idea, except for the little animals that get in :D :D
here is an inside pic.

Attachments

• P1010020.jpg
    P1010020.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 125