Seen any good structures to Model anywhere

FrankG

Philadelphia Watchcase

I posted this image in another thread so it won't let me upload it here, but it's worth a look: http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=11797

It's the Philadelphia Watchcase Company building located in Riverside, NJ. The (now gone) Pavalion hotel was connected to it, making it one large complex.

You can't really tell from the photo, but double tracks run along the right side.

There are some really great old railroad buildings behind it, but since I'm new to the hobby, not sure what purpose the buildings served. Just recognize them as railroad structures because they're similar to some of the Walthers kits.

I'll try to get some more photos because the buildings in a 5-6 block radius of this one are incredible.

spitfire

I was in Kitchener Ontario this afternoon and quite by chance discovered this excellent factory. It even has a CNR siding. Here's the 1st pic.

Val

Attachments

• factory1.jpg
    factory1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 154

spitfire

This is the left side of the building. It would be to the left of the first pic. Check out all the cool ductwork!

Attachments

• factory3.jpg
    factory3.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 265

Will_annand

The wandering Rail Baroness finds another gem. :cool:

Will this one find a home on your layout?
Grab 2-3 cereal boxes and get busy there Val. :wave:

spitfire

Out and about once more, I needed some reference from the Keating Channel, which connects the Don River with the harbour in Toronto. It can be seen when travelling east along the Gardiner Expressway, but it's hard to get to, and seemingly impossible to photograph from the north side because of the Gardiner and the Lakeshore. So all these shots are from the south. Here is the massive dredging barge - the channel requires constant dredging.

xcrane1.jpg

RailRon

The last pic is a truly great shot, Val! :thumb:

It is not only technically interesting, but I love the mood of the sky and the reflection on the water as well. I copied the pic for me because of that special atmosphere. Thank you!

Ron

Small Station

Good Morning, Crew!

These photos were taken by my father in the early 60s. The Hawthorne, NJ NYS&W station is still there and looks the same. I was in it once as a boy and it's been one of my favorite small stations. Note the location...right up against the street! The crossing gates next to the station make a neat detail. There are freight doors on both sides, track and street, with a bay window for the agent.

Russ
:wave:

Attachments

• Hawthorne Susquehanna Station 1 small.jpg
    Hawthorne Susquehanna Station 1 small.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 219
  • Hawthorne Susquehanna Station 2 small.jpg
    Hawthorne Susquehanna Station 2 small.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 220

spitfire

Thanks Ron!! :) :)

If you like that mood, here are a couple more from that same day.

Val

Attachments

• hook.jpg
    hook.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 201
  • channel.jpg
    channel.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 202
interurban said:
Great Stuff Russ, Love the old shots.
Here's some views of the Erie mainline station in Hawthorne, NJ. I used to hang out here as a kid and play on these tracks with the other neighborhood kids. Drove our parents sick with fear and worry! When the street grade crossing with the Erie tracks was eliminated in the late 40s, the street was put below the Erie tracks and the NYS&W maintained its overpass above creating a triple level crossing that would make an interesting model scene. In the upper photo, the street underpass is located where the double billboards are to the left of the tracks in the distance. The factories to the left and right of the platforms were below the platform levels ands the tracks cross over a street beyond the platform. The phone poles stay even with grade and are lower on the left side of the photo as they connect with other phone lines at street level beyone the platform. Note, too, in the lower photo that another factory is below the platform height as well. The houses and property came right up to the station, platforms, and tracks so it isn't UR (unrealistic) to have a house next to a station or up against the tracks. I lived less than ten minutes away and my backyard looked right onto the Erie mainline. This platform had a small brick station adjacent to it...it was torn down years ago and replaced by an NJ DOT shelter. Oh, how architecturally important and memorable those plexi stations will be! :p

Attachments

• Hawthorne Erie Station Platform.jpg
    Hawthorne Erie Station Platform.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 217
  • Hawthorne Erie Station RS small.jpg
    Hawthorne Erie Station RS small.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 211

spitfire

This is a shot of Dufferin Construction's ready-mix plant in Toronto.

Attachments

• Dufferin.jpg
    Dufferin.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 158