Seeking expert advice for my new 1880s layout.

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
You are close Andrew.

Here is what James Filby wrote in his book "Credit Valley Railway - The Third Giant":

"Suddenly we can see ahead the settled town of Orangeville and the end of our journey. Here is the northern terminus of the Credit Valley Railway; freight sheds, sidings, water-tower, coaling facilities, a turntable, repair depot and assorted railway buildings, together with a multi-tracked terminal for passengers. Once more the sights and sounds of the station stops enroute are repeated; this time there are no farewells, this is the end of the line and glad greetings are offered as friend meets fiend with hearty handshake and fond embrace; the businessman unloads his wares; local merchants hopefully look for much needed shipments of supplies. The railway crew uncouple the old style link-and-pin couplers the engine to be watered and refueled. No return trip will be made until tomorrow; in 1882 one or two trains daily are scheduled."

BTW, the term "Third Giant" came from the fact that the CVR was the 3rd railroad to have access to the Toronto docks. The other two were the Grand Trunk and TG&B.

The CVR was in the better position though, it was a standard gauge line with right of way all the way through to St. Thomas and a connection to the USA.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Will,

Just happened by the local shop today and they have plenty of "Hamilton's other railway" on for $75. Took a quick look, and the CVR isn't really covered all that well, at least not as a subject itself. There is quite a bit about the TG&B and the CVR in terms of the take-over/buy out by CPR. Orangeville is mentioned in passing, but there is nothing on the CVR facilities.

One suggestion I did get is to contact the Craig Library. It is an "archival" group here in Ottawa. You should be able to find contact info or a link at www.ovar.ca . Let me know if that doesn't work out, and I can speak directly to a rep at the next club meeting.

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I was in an Ottawa shop the other day ( http://www.hobcen.com/ ) and they have a Roundhouse 4-4-0 kit that might be suitable. One was lettered for D&RGW, but the other was undecorated. $114.95. Seems to come with several options for lights and stacks, so might be easy to make "close enough" to a CVR loco.

If you visit the web site, the loco is NOT listed in their inventory...

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
It just comes partly from having too much time on my hands right now, and also a sizable storage area in my brain for train detail and/or trivia. This storage comes at a cost of other things, though... like remembering birthdays and anniversaries ;)

Andrew

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Decided to pull a big switch.

Recently I went to a new friend's home to see his layout. Murray Taylor of Bracebridge. He has about the same space as I have. His layout is almost done. One look and I knew what I had to do.

I am now planning my layout in N scale. I think that I can get everything that I want in.

I have updated my website with the new bench and track plan.

http://www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR_Home.htm

Any comments are welcome.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Will,

That is a great looking new track plan! It looks like you will be able to get more of what you want into the space. I assume that the return along the back wall will be hidden? If yes, may I suggest that you hide it with a hill, rather than a tunnel, just in case of...???

I have two questions about it: Why not extend the left leg all the way to the edge of the alcove? The Orangeville track plan looks like the CPR yard (formerly TG&B?) at Townline Road, and not the CVR facilities near the corner of what is now Broadway and Highway 10?

Andrew

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Thanks Andrew, yes, since switching to N-Scale with it's 10" radius curves (the smaller locos and rolling stock will handle it) I can get twice as much in. I would need an area 22x10 to handle what is in there at 11x5.

Yes, the Orangeville yard is the TG&B one, no one has the track plan for the CVR, all reports say that the plan is not available...

The only thing the 1881 Atlas of Peel County shows is a box, one block E-W and three blocks N-W, no details, just "Credit Valley Railway Terminal".

So, when you don't have it.... I decided to use the TG&B plan.

I am turning this into a Pseudo-prototypical layout. Once the track leaves Cheltenham running south, it will drop to bench level and continue around the back. When it gets to the Orangeville yard, it will have climbed back up.

The main line will be from 3-6" above the basic bench. The trestle at Forks will be 6" high and cover the full 90 degrees of the 10" radius curve. No tunnels on this layout as there were none in real world.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by Will_annand
The trestle at Forks will be 6" high and cover the full 90 degrees of the 10" radius curve.

That is going to be awesome! :D

As for using the TG&B - early versions of that yard sound like a good approximation of the written description you gave from that book. "Proto-lancing" is alive and well... ;)

Looking forward to more progress/updates!

Andrew

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Bench work will start as soon as I can collect on some more invoices from my company :D

The alcove is off the living room, so the wife wants it nice and clean....:eek:

I have to share the room with her "Crochet Corner", a glider rocker, ottoman and steamer trunk. That is why only 5' deep.

Also, right now I have low book cases lining the walls. They are 6" deep. My wife wants me to rebuild them as 8" deep (better for books) so I will be doing that under the bench. I had thought of making the book cases, 8" deep and 4 shelves high, 10" per shelf. That would put the bench at a 44" height.

I will leave two sections with only false doors on them so I can access under the layout. The control panel will be in a drawer with a drop down front, similar to a computer desk I saw with an enclosed keyboard drawer.

I plan on putting a 36" high backdrop on the unit as well as possibly one where the red LOS block is on the track plan.

Under the back of the layout there will be a shelf unit to store all the RR stuff.

Gotta make the whole layout, bench and all look good.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Will:
Is there any chance you could put the trestle on a larger radius? I think 15" would look better and 20" would be spectacular. (yeah, I know it means twice as much building, but it should be the scenic centrepiece of the layout.)

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
I thought it would be too big. :D

Let's see, 90 degrees on a 20" radius and 6" to the bottom of the gorge. Have to scratch it, big project.
But you are correct, it will be the focal point of the layout.

Benchwork would be an "M" shape with the trestle coming around the corner on the center of the "M" and the Orangeville yard on the last leg. Have a look.

www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR_Home.htm

Thanks for the advice.