securing E-Z track to a board

PennCentralFan

Jan 18, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
I have some bachmann e-z track that I want to secure to a wooden board for a moble layout. I know e-z track isn't the gold standard and so on, but for what I need to do it'll work out good.

Would you glue it? What type of glue? I think maybe glue is the only way you can do go to attach it to a wooden board. I plan on making a small town layout within an oval that I can put in a trunk or back of truck and take it around easily.

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
That depends on a few things. The question is how big is this oval and how permanent do you want this track to be. Gluing would be fine for a permanent fit, but could get sort of pricey with the higher end glues. I dont think white glue would hold it worth dang.

I would personally recomend using silicone to glue it down. Perhaps someone on here who is a user of EZ-track could be better help.

3railguy

Sep 7, 2004
Kaukauna, WI
I used hot melt glue to secure Life Like Power lock track on my 2 x 4 portable layout and it works fine. The track prys up easily and the glue peels off easily allowing you to change things without making a mess or ruining the track. The Wallmart craft section sells a mini gun for $1.99 and a bag of mini glue sticks for $0.99. It is an ideal size for N scale and is also ideal for gluing down tree, bushes, structures, etc. You have to work quickly with it only a few sections of track at a time. because it cools and sets up fast leaving track that doesn't lie perfectly flat.

PennCentralFan

Jan 18, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Play-Doh said:
That depends on a few things. The question is how big is this oval and how permanent do you want this track to be. Gluing would be fine for a permanent fit, but could get sort of pricey with the higher end glues. I dont think white glue would hold it worth dang.

I would personally recomend using silicone to glue it down. Perhaps someone on here who is a user of EZ-track could be better help.

I'm looking at 3 x 4. I guess I want it permanent enough to handle being carted around in a trunk or back seat. I intend to make it pretty permanent--the track part at least.

Thanks for the advice.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I used LiquidNails to secure my EZ track to a door for my layout. That was probably overkill, but when I first started my layout, I needed to make it strong enough for two little boys to not dismantle (easily). I glued several sections at a time and placed wood over the tracks with cans of paint spaced equally across the wood taking care to evenly distribute the weight on top of the track. It's been almost two years now and the track hasn't moved and I've had no problems with expansion or contraction due to heat/humidity.

Scoobie

Feb 21, 2006
Circle Pines, Minnesota
If you look at the track close, you will see a little impression for nails on each end of track section. You do how ever have to drill these holes out for the nail. This will let you remove it if you need to.

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
I have used a calk gun with silicone calk for HO and N. It sticks and holds almost immediately, but you have several minutes at least to move and adjust. Also, a putty knife underneath and you can pop it off later if you like.

Lynn

jdgomez69

May 24, 2006
Colorado
I am using a mixture of Bachmann easy track and Atlas flex track. I'm nailing at all down. There is a hole in the center of each ez track. That seems to work just fine for me. I din't have to drill anything.... I dunno????

PennCentralFan

Jan 18, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Scoobie said:
If you look at the track close, you will see a little impression for nails on each end of track section. You do how ever have to drill these holes out for the nail. This will let you remove it if you need to.

I think I see it. They look no wider than a pin. When I go to the train shop or hardware store what type of nails should I ask for?

Do you nail them directly into the wood or can you fit in a cork based roadbed?

jdgomez69

May 24, 2006
Colorado
If you go to the Train shop just ask for nails to secure track. They will know what kind. If you go to the Hardware store I'm not sure what kind you should get.

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
jdgomez69 said:
If you go to the Train shop just ask for nails to secure track. They will know what kind. If you go to the Hardware store I'm not sure what kind you should get.

Agreed. Stick to the train store. They will know exactly what you need.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I like the caulking for traditional cork and track - just pin it in place while the caulking dries. Can be pried apart if needed with minimal damage.

I use the latex stuff (not silicon) as it is paintable in case of "excess application"... ;)

Andrew