Second attempt at scratch building.

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
Ok, first attempt at scratch building the Santa Susana depot wasn't exactly any success. I had hoped that I could somehow make the windows and doors myself, but no matter what I tried, I wasn't really satisfied with the look,

So I decided to use Grandt Line windows and doors and start over again. This is what I have now.

http://community.webshots.com/album/76915961FHkwQn (the 'second attempt' pictures)

I did do a few mistakes (of course), but overall I'm pretty satisfied with the result, even though I did say at least 10 times "I wish I was in HO instead of N", cause N is just so !@#$ small when painting windows etc.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Looks fine Jesper. One benefit of N gauge is that when structures are set up on the layout, it is the impression that they make that counts. Small details aren't always visible so some can be left out and no one will know.

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
here is my attempt of making N scale shingles.

The shingles are made from 0.005" styrene cut into 5 mm strips, with a line scribed across every 2 mm or so. The strips are then glued to 0.020" styrene.

It looks better in person than in the picture. I did have some problems with some excess glue getting on top of the previous strip, Oh well, hopefully the paint will 'disguise' that.

Attachments

• img_3756.jpg
    img_3756.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 198
  • img_3756.jpg
    img_3756.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 197

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
I just want to give an update on my scratch building project. I haven't done much in the last couple of weeks. All I have done is completing the roof and paint it. I ended up painting it light green (Weyerhauser green with a drop of dark green), and I think it looks kind of ok, not perfect, but ok.

Next I will try and do some weathering with pastel chalk. I haven't tried that before so any advise is welcome. I was thinking of first give the roof a wash of India ink/ alcohol, and when dry, brush on some light colors of chalk. So my first question is, when spraying the Testors dull-cote, should I mask of windows first, or does it dry clear/invisible even on the 'glass'?

Attachments

• img_3822.jpg
    img_3822.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 132

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by jkristia
Next I will try and do some weathering with pastel chalk. I haven't tried that before so any advise is welcome. I was thinking of first give the roof a wash of India ink/ alcohol, and when dry, brush on some light colors of chalk. So my first question is, when spraying the Testors dull-cote, should I mask of windows first, or does it dry clear/invisible even on the 'glass'?

Weathering with pastels is easy. I scrape the length of the chalk with an Xacto knife to get my powder. I then apply it with a nice soft brush. Just remember that some colors wash out a bit when Dulcote is applied. Do it in layers 'til you're satisfied. As for the windows, if you want them glassy, you'll have to mask them or they will frost over. It's an effect I use to advantage though, to blind the eye to details that aren't there, to simulate window screens and with masking tape, to simulate dirty windows that have been wiped clean. Way to go on the roof color, try various shades of green to help weather it.