Searching for specific scales on the site

Hank McCoy

Jun 1, 2010
Hi, I'm just getting into this and have noticed that the subject of scale doesn't seem to be as important in this hobby as in other fields. Very few post titles include this info and in fact, very often, pictures and downloads don't mention it either. Many of these projects could be an inch long or three feet long - just can't tell. When I type a specific scale into the search function, I get anything but what I've asked. Any suggestions ?

Alcides

Jul 8, 2005
Buenos Aires - Argentina
Hank you're asking a difficult question. You have here in general 2 types of models: ones more "typical" which are generally the classic ones: aircraft, tanks, vehicles and ships.

Specially if they're are done by a designer for selling they have an scale: 1/33, 1/48, 1/50, 1/72 ... you can have a look here:
http://www.ecardmodels.com
Look there for the designers like Kamppflieger, Thaipaperwork, Marek, Jacek, Krychu74 and others.
If you see in the forum a model from one of this designer probably you can know the scale.

But in the papermodel community you have a lot of models which are done out of scale, generally from movies, TV, imagination and that models are difficult to know the scale.

In that case you have to look for a picture with some object to see the scale: the typical scale cubes, or just a hand or an stick in some cases like this one:

Ford_3ton_tank3.jpg

Which is my build at 1/72 scale model of 3 ton ford tank from wwi by Kamppflieger

The other subject to pay attention is the fact is very common in cardmodeling to rescale models. A lot of people for example prints a 1/48 model at 67% and build it at 1/72 scale, so in the scale is relative.

I know this isn't a direct answer to you question but I hope to help you to enjoy this amazing hobby.

Regards
Alcides

Z

Zathros

What Alcides said really does sum it up. Not being plastic, you do have the option of rescaling that is not present in other mediums.

Hank McCoy

Jun 1, 2010
Thanks

Thanks for the comments. I think what surprises me the most is that scale just doesn't seem to matter very much here. As mentioned, one can rescale, but when the original scale isn't given, it sure makes things more difficult than it needs to be. What is really behind my question is that I'm looking for people with like-minded ideas, in my case large scale work - 1/6 scale to be precise. I am currently learning and using card techniques I'm picking up here, to add detail to the interior of a 1/6 scale plastic tank model kit. I've been doing my own up-scaling from a 1/35 scale kit, making drawings of the parts and producing them from card stock. I have to say, I'm really surprised how successful I've been and how much fun it is. Card work really can combine with plastic. What I'm looking for are ideas for the future - I think I'm hooked !

Z

Zathros

If you use any CAD programs, all you need is to have one object to match to another, i.e., an entry way, a handle, seat, etc, and that same part in the model you want to scale, by selecting 3 D scaling, you scan group all parts and scale them up and down, quite easily. :)

Hank McCoy

Jun 1, 2010
Photos

I just installed a lot of parts last night and have been taking photos as I proceed. I don't know how to post them, but my son is home from university tomorrow so I am going to see if he can help me do it.

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
One of the things I've played with, on the subject of plastic/paper mixing, is printing the card model onto sticker-sheet and then applying that to sheet styrene for cutout patterns. This gives you the excellent patterns alongside the versatility of plastic without the manual math.

Scale is very important to me, on that note, although I usually go for 1:50 or 1:35, although I've made custom TIE fighters and X-Wings to 1:5000 and a small fleet of Star Wars 'Destroyers' in 1:10,000 (using the aforementioned plastic-printing method).