searching for maps

CAS

Apr 10, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
I have searching the web for maps of either illinois central rr, and illinois central gulf rr. but i'm not having any luck finding any. I didn't find any where it can help me model ceertain ares or routes of the trains. can someone please suggest where i can look or go to find maps on these different rr.

I am thinking about doing either one of this 2 rr due to that i leave in illinois, and it would be easy for me to take photographs of stations and yard buildings and so on. If someone can please help, i would really appreciate it.

Cliff

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Cas: are talking today or some previous time? Rand McNally published railroad atlases of the US. I have a 1920s (reprint) and a 1980s (or so). These only show RR lines and major towns; no highways.
There is a modern set of North American RR Atlas that shows a lot more detail. These are grouped by sets of states but seem pricey.

Groove

Dec 30, 2004
Google maps? at least you'd have the sat photo's too.

that may not give enough detail though

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Usgs...

...United States Geological Survey maps are a fine tool. They state the year of the last survey and sometimes indicate what has changed. Railroads are shown along with the topographic details- elevation contours, etc. You can figure out why they ran where they ran. Some of the dense regions are spectacular, showing huge (and small) yards, etc. I remember a Suffern, NY map I had still showed the location of the turntable as abandonned- but it was on the map. Kewl stuff.

It's more fun to find a store that has them- you can locate a dealer in your neighborhood online.

USGS

Do a little surfing on their site.

Regards,

Mark