SD50 on the NWP

NWP Hopeful

Sep 10, 2004
Ok. One of my regrets is that, in the late 90's, the NWP had an SD50 on it. Only for a day or two. But, I never got a picture of it and wasn't smart enough to write down the number on the cab or anything else. The only thing I do remember is that it was blue and was either listed as a Conrail unit or a Helm leasing. I was hoping that someone else was smarter and might be able to point me in the right direction. Modeling an SD50 for an NWP layout just sounds like fun.

Summit

May 12, 2003
Elko, NV
www.trainweb.org
I'm pretty sure the NWP never had a SD50 on it. The last operator of the line, Rail-Ways, did have two leased SD40-2s that were blue. One was numbered 6412, I was not able to find a number for the other, or the heritage of the units. Perhaps this is what you saw? The units did not move far, as of last report they were leased to the Cal Northern and in service on that road.

Hope this helps.

Summit
Elko, NV

NWP Hopeful

Sep 10, 2004
I suppose it could have been and sd40-2. I just remember that it didn't have the porches that most had. To me, it seemed pretty large. But, I'm used to sd9's not 2nd gen's sitting in Hopland.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I am a big fan of R.J.Corman short lines and am pretty dang keen on his locomotives-so I thought. :cry: I bet a follow modeler and close friend of mine a cup of coffee that R.J.Corman did not have SD40-2s and High hood GP38s.Boy was I wrong Not only did R.J. have SD40-2s he also has SD40T-2s and of course I paid up that cup of coffee.. :D
So the possibilities of a SD50 showing up on the NWP could have taken place as borrowed unit.That would be nothing new for a short line. :D :wave:

N

NWP-fan

NWP Roster Page

NWP Hopeful said:
in the late 90's, the NWP had an SD50 on it. [....] The only thing I do remember is that it was blue and was either listed as a Conrail unit or a Helm leasing. I was hoping that someone else was smarter and might be able to point me in the right direction.

It sounds like you saw an LLPX (Locomotive Leasing Partners) ex-Conrail SD40-2. There should have been two of them on the NWP, #s 6412 and 6413. These units are allegedly on the California Northern now.

There's a decent list of NWP's motive power, with pictures, at:

http://ncespee.railfan.net/rosters/nwptxtros.html

You can click on the road numbers to check if one of them is the loco you saw.

BTW, nice screen name. :) Please keep us up to date on your NWP modeling efforts. And Welcome to The Gauge if no one's said it yet.

NWP Hopeful

Sep 10, 2004
Hmmm. Sure looks like the one. But, I'm running on my faulty memory. Not sure which of the two it would've been, but I suppose it doesn't really matter. Just give's all that much more to model, right?:)

Thanks much for the link. It's very much appreciated.

N

NWP-fan

Hi again Hopeful;

Here are a couple more NWP links that you might find helpful and/or enjoyable.

If you haven't found it yet, the Northwestern Pacific Historical Society's page is at:
http://www.nwprrhs.org

It's somewhat sparse at the moment.

I stumbled upon a huge cache of NWP photos covering the opening of the railroad to the present, at (of all places) the City of Fortuna, California's website:
http://www.sunnyfortuna.com/railroad/index.htm

Now there's a town that has its priorities straight. :) Great wallpaper and modeling ideas abound.

Happy railroading!