SD45 Length

Whistleblower

Feb 1, 2005
Camarillo, CA
Can one of you diesel experts out there advise me of the overall AND between-bolster length of the EMD SD45? I know that the SD38, 40 and 45 were all built on the same frame, but what about the SD40T-2? Was the extra length of the T-2 hood accommodated on the same frame by just eliminating the rear platform, or was the whole frame longer than its predecessors? Thanks for your help!

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
Without digging through my pile of magazines and books :D the overall dimensions of the SD and SD-2 was a frame length increase with the new -2 designation. The T-2 units utilized the same frame and as you guessed, the porches were eliminated with the addition of the tunnel radiator design. Also some will have the porches on the nose and others will lose them to the snoot nose, which housed radio electronics for remote control units. SP, UP and CP had the snoot option. There may have been others but off hand I don't recall. Hope this helps answer your question.

Greg Elems

Whistleblower

Feb 1, 2005
Camarillo, CA
Whoops! I have my answer, thanks to Dan Raitz (on Feb. 17). I knew I had asked the question before, but couldn't find it. Now I did. Sorry to have troubled any of you.
cry.gif