SD40 and 9 3/4" radius , is it OK ?

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
While railfanning 2 days ago I saw an Illinois Central SD40 on a Canadien National track. Of course I would like to purchase the N scale equivalent.
1) Who is manufacturing an N scale IC SD40 ?
2) Will it take 9 3/4" radius curve without problem ?
Tia for any feedback

Jacques

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Thanks to both of you cpNscale and jesso for taking some of your precious time to reply.
My layout is very small 23" by 36" that's why I hesitate before buying anything longer than a GP9 that might look "toyish" on such a tiny layout.

Jacques

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
Thanks to both of you cpNscale and jesso for taking some of your precious time to reply.
My layout is very small 23" by 36" that's why I hesitate before buying anything longer than a GP9 that might look "toyish" on such a tiny layout.

Jacques
Well, an SD40 running on 9.75 inch curves on a 23x36 layout has a considerable risk of looking toylike. Only you can make the call about whether too toylike to use. If you like it, you'll probably want it. If your GPs look ok you'll probably still be happy with it.

Jeff

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Thanks for helping me make a wise decision baldwinjl, I'll finish my small layout first, enjoy my GP9 and SW9/1200 switcher. Then when I'll start the 2nd layout ( on a hollow core door ) I can justify the purchase of an SD 40.

Jacques

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Of course you might just want to get that Kato SD40 in IC/CN paint now while they still make it. A few months/years from now it may be a lot harder and more expensive to find.

(Of course any advice I offer regarding diesel purchases must come with a disclaimer that I have a serious problem buying more power than I can possible run at one time on my layout.)

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Of course you might just want to get that Kato SD40 in IC/CN paint now while they still make it. A few months/years from now it may be a lot harder and more expensive to find.

(Of course any advice I offer regarding diesel purchases must come with a disclaimer that I have a serious problem buying more power than I can possible run at one time on my layout.)

Good point Herc Driver, but the SD40 being one of the most popular engines ever built by EMD, I think their little N scale counterparts will be around for a long time too.
I'll wait another year before buying it, but it'll be on top of my shopping list.

Jacques

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I admire your will power to wait...I don't know if I could (ah heck who am I kidding...I wouldn't be able to wait at all and would buy it now - which is why I fly the Herc to pay for the trains!).
sign1