SD.Kfz 250/3 Greif GPM 1:16

Status
Not open for further replies.

josve

Thanks Popala!

The front axel.....

I have started on the front axel, and it contains a lot of parts.
First the drawings....

The leafspring is laminated of several paperstrips.

Some of the parts are ready....and a lot more to go.

josve

I did manage to get the front axel,suspension and steering into place even if it looked kind of difficult in the beginning.

So now I'm going to start on the front wheels :)

C

cgutzmer

Awesome - going great. The levels of detail on your models is simply amazing!
Chris

josve

Thanks Chris!!
I can agree on the detail level.....the kit contains 1583parts....

The front wheels was kind of a strange experience.....I could not decide how the wheels should be made out of the drawing.It seemed to me that something was missing, so I had to make some changes.....just to get it together properly.

I start with the parts to be used and the drawing.

So to try to get this together I had to make 4 extra rings...two with the same diameter as the main frame to put in center of the wheel, and two a bit smaller to put on the outside , so I had something to glue the side to...

So I made the coned centerpart.This was made of two parts turned each way.

The center of the cone.

And put into place it looks like this.

The ring that holds the cone in place.

The centercone in place

The top and the side are in place, and the curved strip is to make the upper side on the wheel.

The top structure is made of 3 different patterns to be glued on top of each other.Picky work with all that small cuts....

And we have one finished wheel.
Front and back.

josve

Continuing with the second wheel....

The paperstrips that will be the upper part of the "rubber" are as mentioned in the last post made of 3 different strips.Each a bit smaller than the first.
The first strip.After the strip is glued around the wheel, the ends have to be bent down and glued to the side.

And the painting of every single edge.....was a very timeconsuming thing...

The second strip

And the third strip

And at last the two rings...painted and ready to be glued on each side of the tyre.

And the two tyres are done...

In between tyres I have just started to put together some chain links....

The chainwork goes very slowly.....so so far I have made pr today...8 links...

GT5500

Just a quick tip (can't believe I am giving advice to a modelling genius!) intsed of edge painting all the tyre 'treads' seperately why not glue them all to the wheel then when dry match the colour and paint the whole tyre?

rlwhitt

I was going to ask the same thing, but I too was heistant to question "The Man" on anything! I'll bet Johhny has a good reason, but I'd do it the lazy way (assuming I'd attempt such a mind boggling thing in the first place!).

GT5500 said:
Just a quick tip (can't believe I am giving advice to a modelling genius!) intsed of edge painting all the tyre 'treads' seperately why not glue them all to the wheel then when dry match the colour and paint the whole tyre?

josve

Guess once if I had the same thoughts? Yes I did....
And I had done that if the wheel was "normal" black, but theese wheels are kind of weathered and the surface is kind of special, so painting it all would have ruined the great look of the wheels.And I wanted the shades and pattern to show on the finished wheels.

Amazyah

Wow! Amazing work Johnny! That drive wheel must have taken a while, so many little parts! Looks great, as usual!
Are the nuts on the hook from draf model? They are cut with preciision. If they are part of the kit, you have some eagle eyes to cut them out!:grin:

I love the palm tree insignia. This kit sure has some great details to the paint job and your work is definately doing this kit justice!

I'm sorry I don't post more often Johnny, but I am definately watching.
If I don't do anything else each day, I at least have to stop and check in on your amazing work! Just beautiful, Johnny! Thank you so much for your continued sharing of your work! You always make my day!:wink:

Russell

josve

Thanks for your nice words Russell!!
The nuts are the 0,8mm from DrafModel.I don't use "cut out" nuts after I got those from Draf.I have now around 500 pcs of each type :)
So I have nuts for a while....

If you look closely to the palmtree, you will notice that the swastika is mirrored....of for me an unknown reason.

And the drivewheel was somthing....110 parts in each wheel....and it took a while to complete it :)

Amazyah

That is peculiar about the palm tree being mirrored. I didn't even notice that until you said something. Maybe that was a mistake that they didn't catch.
I wonder if we could find pictures of the actual vehicle with this paint job to verify???

It is still a darn good looking kit. I have this one, but it is in 1/25 and I think it still has all the pieces, only smaller! It will be some time before I can handle all those tiny, tiny parts.

I found the Draf nuts at www.papermodelstore.com here in the U.S. at only .99 cents per card and in many sizes! Great deal in my book for such a wonderful addition to any card model. They really add to the realism.

Looking forward to your next post, Johnny!:grin:

Russell

cmdrted

The mirrored palm tree is probably a design mistake. When You paint something in editing programs and want to Mirror the same insignia on another side you do simply mirror it and then paste it to it's new location. Saves alot of redundant design. Unfortunately somethings aren't exact mirrors. I suspect that's what happened. Despite that this is one fantastic build! I remember building Grief as a much younger modeler in 1/72, plastic by Italeri, and then I thought there were a heck ov a lot of parts. good luck Josve! But I think luck isn't a factor here your doing well just the same!

josve

Thanks guys!!

Leading wheels.
A lot of cutting here...work process is slow...

Drawing.

The finished wheel. Top-front and back

Amazyah

Slow, but beautiful!

What kind of glue do you use, Johnny? Your parts are always so clean.
I know it's your skills and not the glue but every little bit helps.

Russell

josve

Hello Russell!

I use the schooltype Scotch white glue.My local bookstore is empty of that brand now, so I had to use some glue called Pritt-kidsart.Also white glue, but dries a bit slow.

I always uses a syringe for applying glue, and try not to mess up the parts with a lot of glue :) (I'm not always lucky)

Amazyah

I use white glue too. I have a few brands but they are all the same really.
I put my glue in a small plastic dish with a sealed cover and I apply it with a round pointed toothpick.
I will leave the cover off for a while and the glue will get thicker and then it dries almost as fast as Super glue or UHU. If it gets too thick I just add a little water.
I've never tried a syringe but I am thinking about it.

As always, beautiful work your doing, Johnny!

Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.