Sculptamold alternative

Saddletank

My layout hill terrain has been built up with pink board, smoothed with rolled newspaper and covered in woodland scenics plaster clothe.

I am going to use some woodland scenic rock molds but will need to 'freehand' some outcroppings around a small cave. Have looked at Crayola, don't laugh, air dry clay product. It can be painted, it resists cracking and can be molded prior to drying.

Any thoughts?

Nazgul

Have looked at Crayola, don't laugh
I won't......I've thought about using it as well (my kids used to use it). Seems like it could do a good job...extremely light weight...a little more expensive though. Just curious....what don't you like about Sculptamold?

Saddletank

Availability

Nothing, never used it but cannot find it locally. I have a Christmas layout deadline looming. Woodlands Scenics charges 12.00 for a smallish tub. The Crayolla I picked up for 4.00. I made sure it would dry hard, was paintable, would adhere and was workable.

Nazgul

I gottcha....the crayola should work great..........if ya ever find some sculptamold try it if you haven't already (I love it)

Saddletank

Molding with Crayola

I had a great idea too. I took a Woodland Scenic Rock mold for layer rock and filled with the clay. It makes a great imprint and is easy to work with once pulled from mold.

Nazgul

Great!!! If at all possible take a pic or pics...I for one would love to see the results.....good job!

Russ Bellinis

Another great scenery material is to take cement (cement only not ready mix) and then use shreadded news print in place of aggregate. It makes a very light weight but strong plaster substitute.