screw thread size for atlas spdt switch/turnouts

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
I've purchased 4-40 and 2-56 screws and neither are the correct size for the threads in these atlas spdt switches or the threads on the switch machines themselves. it looks like there are just inbetween 4-40 and 2-56.

Can i get these screws at a hardware store or do i have to order some "special" screw?

PS. I am almost done running the wires for my turnouts, only 3 more to run then i get to screw them up and be surprised when none work ;).

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
I dont know if they're special screws or what but I bought a lot of misc parts off of ebay and it came with a small container full of the screws, I can test them on my atlas switches and share with you if you can tell me how many you need...

ooops, forgot to ask, are we talking HO or do you think that makes a difference?

As soon as you answer I can go check and get em in the mail by monday if need be

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
hiscopilot said:
I dont know if they're special screws or what but I bought a lot of misc parts off of ebay and it came with a small container full of the screws, I can test them on my atlas switches and share with you if you can tell me how many you need...

ooops, forgot to ask, are we talking HO or do you think that makes a difference?

As soon as you answer I can go check and get em in the mail by monday if need be

Ho scale, i have a ton of misc stuff here too, i've been reading your threads and know you started recently like me ;) heheeh, so i'd be glad to send some of my spare/overages your way as well.

I think i may need about 14 of them. The stuff i bought off ebay came w/ none at all, so i've been removing screws from some of the brass turnouts i'm not going to use.

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
I definitely have that many screws to share with, but my screws are brass... I dont know if that makes a difference.

Can you send a pic of the screws you are robbing those poor turnouts of so I can comapre and get the correct ones to you? ;)

Also, you mentionednot using brass turnouts, are you interested in selling or swapping them? I need more turnouts and dont care if they're brass! :)

My e-mail is kidsafetn@bellsouth.net if you want to e-mail me!

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
cidchase said:
If it's between a 4-40 and a 2-56 it may be a 3-56 which I believe is not totally uncommon.
Or, like you said, it might be metric. It's sure not a 1, 0, or 00! You can get screws from Atlas I would be willing to bet.
Glad i'm still browsing the store :) heheh would have ended up w/ a bag of tiny screws. I've been having a hard time finding just atlas screws at the lhs and not sure it's worth paying shipping for a couple bubbles of screws.

I'm also thinking of whipping out the hot glue gun to secure the switch machines to the turnouts btu then i may destry the turnout trying to replace the swithc machine.

Google is a phenominal thing .. check this site out .. http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/mpx-p.cfm ... 3-48!?!?!?