Screw Punch (inexpensive)

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Bowdenja, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK you guys know me............. I'm ..........ummm........ cheap.

So I found this on eBay for $11.99 with shipping. Not bad and I guess when I need a specific hole size I'll have to order the bit. But this got me a punch to start with and at not too bad a price.

Came in today and it works very well. Anyway, if you want one and don't have the $60+ for the all in one you may want to think about this way.

OK......... all you guys that use the punch............... what bit do you use the most?

john

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

All of them! But seriously I use the 1 to 2mm range the most, but have quite a bit of use up to 3.5mm. I very seldom use 3.5 to 5mm, if it helps.
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Nice Price, But...,

John,

I think you just discovered the expensive parts...,

-Gil
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I believe you are right Gil, but if I don't need all of the bits then I might still come out ahead. Anyway, this way I can put off sticker shock, and spread out the payments until times get a little better.:grin:

The great thing about planes is that there aren't that many small holes, unlike ships with all those portholes. So if I can get by with just a couple of the bits I'll still come out pretty good.

You guys are correct, this thing is fun to use and makes a heck of a nice hole. I just wish there were bigger bits to make cutting out tires and hubs easier.

john
  5. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Cheaper punch

I use those small brass tubes from the hobby shop stock. They are usually 12" or 18" longcome in round, aerfoil, square, rectangular and hexagonal cross-sesctions for a couple of dollars each, more or less. They can be sawn off short and sharpened.
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

How do you sharpen those? A couple pics of how you do that would be awesome - when you have time anyway....
    Chris
  7. DrBill

DrBill Member

For brass tubes, try a needle file for square tubing, a Dremel conical grinder for round tubes (or a round needle file). Another trick I learned from Jeff Cwiock is to use 1-1.5" lengths of steel piano wire in different diameters from about 1/32" up. Dress one end with a bench grinder or (slower) a good file -- the flat surface is plenty sharp for cardstock. Use something like hardened fiber board for an anvil (wood is too soft, metal or formica too hard). Position the wire of correct diameter over the area to be punched and tap with a small hammer. You get an incredibly clean hole. Great for portholes or other small holes. Use brass tubing for holes larger than 1/8".
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

9. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Holy Moly, what a price!
    I just ordered one also, thanks, John!8) :grin:

Russell
  10. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

the price nice maybe i will order one to

any more suggestion for good punch let say not more than 60$?
  11. Dave Treby

Dave Treby Member

Has anyone found an equivalent product and supplier in the UK?
  12. smyfe

smyfe Member

13. smyfe

smyfe Member

Just read it properly, the item is located in LA but the postage is only £5.00 so it's still a great buy:)
  14. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

I just found these "hole punching pliers" at Harbor Freight for $3.99. Punches holes from 2mm to 4.5mm. I've tested it out and it works OK. It likes thicker paper but if you twist the paper before releasing the handle, you can get a clean hole in paper too.
  15. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

I just found these "hole punching pliers" at Harbor Freight for $3.99. Punches holes from 2mm to 4.5mm. I've tested it out and it works OK. It likes thicker paper but if you twist the paper before releasing the handle, you can get a clean hole in paper too.
  16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

For some reason, the guy John and I both bought from, came back from vacation and pulled all his modeling supplies from his auctions and is selling only sweat jackets now.
    I guess he wasn't selling enough to justify the expenses.

Russell
  17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

For some reason, the guy John and I both bought from, came back from vacation and pulled all his modeling supplies from his auctions and is selling only sweat jackets now.
    I guess he wasn't selling enough to justify the expenses.

Russell
  18. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Carl, are you saying us English are odd?

How very perceptive!!

Tim
  19. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Carl, are you saying us English are odd?

How very perceptive!!

Tim
  20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Russell,

I just got a refund................guess he didn't want to sell them afterall:mad:

Sorry!

john