Scratchin my head on this

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
My layout is DC and I am converting all my rolling stock to metal wheels.
Now im not too bright when it comes to the electrical side of things, but if a metal wheel is being used on DC track, wont it cause problems because of the polarity? A current would be running through the wheels right? Can this mess up my engine?

Any advice?

Thanks
Play-Doh

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
You need to be careful with the adjustments if you have any metal wheels/metal truck/metal underframe combinations. I have seen trouble on a few friends' layouts when cars with improperly tuned "undersides" have shorted the system. Very hard to trace...! So make sure tht the metal wheels properly clear the trucks and metal underframes.

Andrew

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Back in the stone age of model railroading, when rolling stock and locos were metal, and when not only the wheels, but also the trucks were metal, coupling onto a car whose insulated wheels were on the opposite rail to those of the loco would fry the knuckle springs right out of the Kadee couplers. Those Kadees, by the way, were uncoupled with a mechanical uncoupler, which actuated a straight pin hanging down from the knuckle itself. The good old days! :rolleyes:

Wayne

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Thanks everyone! I had never noticed the plastic insulator betweent the wheel and the axel. I am using plastic trucks so i forsee any problems for here on in.