scratchbuilt bridge

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by HOtrainman, Aug 13, 2007.

1. HOtrainman

HOtrainman Member

i have a scratchbuilt an abandoned bridge I saw on my vacation that I weathered. I am only going to show the first half because I have yet to weather the other half. the more dark spots on the sides are holes like where there is termite damage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here it is with the other half glued on, not weathered though.

[​IMG]

technique- at first it was water in a Nestle water bottle cap. then I added 2 or 3 drops of brown paint and one drop of black.(applebarrel brand) stirred with a Q-Tip and painted. then I thought, well, I can't get between the ties. I took out a plastic case that was laying around(it had some balsa wood in it) and put water in it. that I added some paint.(as much as you feel is necessary) then I dipped in the bridge every way I could to get it with paint in every spot. I also put in the little bit of balsa wood and "skinny sticks"(popsicle stick without the rounded edge) then I took those out after a minute(or when you feel is necessary) and dumped out the water. I then rinsed/washed out the case. i put the sticks back in it and so the wood wouldn't mold, I used a small fan to dry them off, flipping them every couple of minutes.
  2. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Looks good so far. Keep showing us pics. I would like to see it done.

Good work :)
  3. Ausipeet

Ausipeet New Member

would be more then interested in having a look thank you
  4. Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson Well-Known Member

Looks good!

That looks good, please keep sharing; do you have any photos of the prototype?

again thanks for sharing.

Bill Nelson
  5. murf10346

murf10346 New Member

Looks good! Your weathering process is interesting. Thanks for sharing.