scratchbuilding 84 lumber

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
made from mills bros lumber, and styrene. a couple prototype pics taken too.

Attachments

• 84 lumber1.jpg
    84 lumber1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 84 with tckr.jpg
    84 with tckr.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 84 rear1edit.jpg
    84 rear1edit.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 84 edit.jpg
    84 edit.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 28

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hey, that's a great looking series of structures! The curved roof is a real eye catcher. The industry looks large enough to justify rail service. Very realistic looking. Nice work!
Ralph

skipgear

May 15, 2005
The 84 Lumber near me (Loveland, OH) still has an active siding. They share the siding with a company that specializes in brick, block and rock. There are often cars at both loading docks.

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
curved roof

The curved sides were made by tracing a pattern onto really thick styrene and cutting 2 identical pieces. Then after they were braced across every few inches with plastic beams from plastruct, I took a long thin piece of styrene sheet and CA glued it gradually until it was secure. I had to glue it a couple inches at a time before it was finished. I cut some thin evergreen styrene strips to give it texture, primed with grey primer, painted with spray can, and dullcoted it. It is my largest scratch built project, and I'm happy with it. That Mills bros lumber is a fantastic kit, why does Walthers have to retire it?

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
The 84 down here still does, too. At least it DID, it was near where Wilma came thru.
There's another Lumber place closer to me that gets a few cars each month, down in south Punta Gorda.

By the way... That's look'n really great!