scratch rolling stock

gerbs4me

Nov 10, 2002
www.angelfire.com
I plan on making some HO scale hoppers and some gondolas and some flats. I would need to buy the trucks from the LHS. What should I make the rest of the frieght car out of? balsa?

other tips would be greatly appreciated:)

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I think that balsa is unsuitable unless you're Uncle Fester.
I think basswood is preferred, although you could probably use whatever else the hobby shop sells. Check out the pre-scribed wood and see what it is.
My formula would be wood for wood parts and plastic or metal for metal parts, although wood with proper finishing can look like metal.
Look for some scratchbuilding articles or books at the hobbyshop. You might try a craftsman type kit first to see how it's done. Some of them are like scratchbuilding, except a lot of work and thinking has been done for you.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
I like Evergreen Styrene myself. It comes in all different scale sizes
and various kinds of car and building sidings. It can be made to look like wood or metal.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
You might check the academy on this site (click on the large The Gauge image at the top o fhte page to get back to the top, and locate the academy at the bottom of the page under archives). Specifically, there's an article (thanks Shamus) on building a 23' flat car. Shamus has more on his website (along with buttloads of other useful info!). You might check the NMRA Beginners Pages and also consider using cheap kits for some of your projects. I bought several 30' flats and 22' ore cars from 1st place for about $4 ea., and they are pretty good quality. I installed knuckle couplers and metal wheelsets and they work great.