Scratch built Mi 24: Alpha build

SameeBD

Dec 24, 2012
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Everyone knows the mil mi 24 right?/ The crocodilo-the hind-the infantry eraser ...so i decided to make one.

now there are couple of kits outthere, mostly russian and by rawen, but the russians are way too detailed and off bounds for me ( dont have the patience :p). Raawens ones are good but simplified; you dont get those nice curves thats in the real model. As i said beforehand, my techniques are primitive:curse:: the kit was hand drawn by tracing a 3 view of the hind that i had printed, and coloured using poster colours. its not that i cant use those photo manipulative tools ( gimp mostly), but drawing the kit by hand was for me easier. Again a lot of Russian kits were actually handdrawn stuff.

anyhow, the hinds in the colours of RSMLF, the Sierra leon defence force. African wars had the presence of the hinds in one way or another; In Sierra leon the govt initially bought 2; when EO camne they also used the hinds. Tried to make like the one Neil Ellis flew . ( Check this : http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_462.shtml )

i know the camo scheme; Sand and spinach aint exactly perfect, tried to colour from my memory thats why ...and i chose Sierra leon RSMLF because my father was a peacekeeper there ( UN colours colud have been done too :p ) ...and my sister was named Sierra too.

Since the kit was hand drawn, so obviously there are a number of deficiencies wall1; the cockpit and frontal fuselage is far from being perfect; the engine cowling and intake filters simplified; the stub wing pylons arent perfect; had to draw a attach a part in the rear fuselage- tail junction; that piece didnt settle properly ....AND last but not the least I dont actually use paper directly to make my models; i paste the kits on artpaper( locally called as such, basically a cardboard derivative :p ) which makes folding and getting the finer details a tad difficult. But it does provide durability

The Rotors rotateable, made from toothpick :p ...and constructions overly simplified; decals (the serial , sierra leon fin flash, and danger waring sign ) too were hand drawn. probably will attach the rocket pods some day ......

i'm open for constructive criticism and rating; hope some one will make a kit soon :D

Personal rating : 7.5/ 10;

Attachments

• milmi247_zpsccee0433.jpg
    milmi247_zpsccee0433.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 39
  • milmi346_zps98b365de.jpg
    milmi346_zps98b365de.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 38
  • mil24_zps4f0af637.jpg
    mil24_zps4f0af637.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 37
  • milmi245_zps5a9b7171.jpg
    milmi245_zps5a9b7171.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 48
  • milmi243_zpse8508fc1.jpg
    milmi243_zpse8508fc1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 28

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I think that is a very nice model. Hand draw! It fits together great. You know what it is when you look at it. Please, continue to post. Your work is great and I would love to see more. This is art with hobby combined. It has an organic feel to it. :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
KUDOS TO YOU ON A FINE JOB WELL DONE!!!
The fact that it is drawn be hand, makes it all the more interesting!!!
I look forward to seeing more of your work!

KEEP UP THR GREAT WORK!!!

cafe

Jan 30, 2010
France
For a hand drawn model, it looks awfully good! Nice build. I see you're also working on a Mi-8!

SameeBD

Dec 24, 2012
Dhaka, Bangladesh
thank you!! And ..err...was working on the Mil mi 8 (it was a fusion of Rawens Mi8 and that of a Russian kit), but it didnt work out that well...so its another derelict model wall1 ..However i'm working on a hand drawn kit, which borrows components from Rawens and the russian one.

McGee

Cory
Oct 5, 2013
Spokane
Man I think it's great. I may be able to build a model, and scratch a few components to modify and fit already existing dimensions and shapes, but I am far from being able to figure out how all the designers can figure out how a 3 dimensional structure or shape, can be correctly shaped to be broken down to a 1 dimensional plane, in such a way that it can be reconstructed to become a 3 dimensional shape again.
I honestly can't wrap my head around it, and therefore have the most gigantic respect and admiration for paper engineers.
So while you may see and know all your errors and faults in it, I see nothing but several pics of really awesome.
I actually really enjoy building the hand drawn, hand colored models with their "human touch"..sort of a 3D comic book page..hand penciled art.

tigerclaw

Sep 22, 2013
SameeBD,

Great, :thumb:
I like this kind of design, It is not Hako, but simple enaught to build it in scale like 1:250.
And this is exact my question, What is the scale of your helicopter ?
And by the way please show us a few pictures from the Mi-8

kind regards

Sepp

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
This kind of model making show a true understanding of the shape modeled. :)

MilanX3

Jul 18, 2011
Canada
That is amazing...I hope I will be able to build one of your models in the future...really impressive, I know the Mi-24 well..and you nailed it!

SameeBD

Dec 24, 2012
Dhaka, Bangladesh
...gee..thanks a lot for the encouraging words :D!! ...i must apologize for the late reply...been busy lately...ANY how...i might attempt making a proper digital version some day soon -_- ...coz have been toying around in gimp and making toyota paper cars :D ....

Experimental Designs

Papercraft Visionary
Sep 4, 2011
West Columbia, SC
Very nicely done. I thought I was seeing things until I read closely that you hand drew the design. Wow. I don't have the steady hand or the patience to pull that off. Yes, very well done indeed.

Mi 24, man those things are like flying friggin' tanks!

SameeBD

Dec 24, 2012
Dhaka, Bangladesh
thank u!.... wish i had proper pens for this task ...then the lines would have been a lot more fine ( i used one of those montex hyspeed pens -_- ) ....the thing about hand drawn layouts is getting the detailing/ perfections done takes a lot of patience..something which i run out now and then :p .......and the lines on the model seems faded because i had a photocopy of the original layout done ( didnt want to lose the original)