Scratch built flats

My first attempt at scratch built rolling stock. The two log cars have the logs pinned to the floor and the cut timbers fit securly between the vertical bulk-heads. The cars were made with all wood, except the styrene timbers and of course the Kadee trucks, wheels and couplers.

Drew

Attachments

• flat cars 913.jpg
    flat cars 913.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 267

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
These turned out great Drew. They look better than the commercially made ones and as Jon says, the weathering is superb.

Weathering

Thanks on the weathering,

I figured that to get it to look nice, you have to use three or four colors. The first two are washed onto the part, and then the last two are dry brushed. I start with the darker colors and work up to the dust. Takes some time, but they do look better.

Drew

jon-monon

Re: Weathering

Originally posted by Drew Toner
Thanks on the weathering,

I figured that to get it to look nice, you have to use three or four colors. The first two are washed onto the part, and then the last two are dry brushed. I start with the darker colors and work up to the dust. Takes some time, but they do look better.

Drew

It's perfect! and I thot it was how ya hold yer mouth while painting!:p

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Drew,
Nice flats !!, and the weathering is great !
It reminds me of the daunting task I have before me,,, that of weathering, or more correctly, re-weathering most of my rolling stock.
I do try not to be a rivet counter, but I do count rivets. There are details that I will strive to include on models that I build, and the attention to detail gets more accute as time goes on. So, please understand that I am NOT criticizing. My intent here is purely educational.

Wheels: To rust, or not to rust, that is the question. Really, when do wheels get rusty? This depends greatly on the type of bearings used in the trucks.
Roller bearing trucks do not get regular applications of lubricant. the bearings are sealed, and usually don't leak, so there isn't any lubricant on the wheel faces, and they will show rust through the dirt.
Friction bearing trucks have the doors lifted, and oil added constantly! The oil leaks easily from the journal boxes, and centrifugal force spreads the oil quite evenly across the face of the wheel. This oil, and all the dust and dirt combine to form a dark sludge on the wheel face.
The wheels of friction bearing trucks will be rusty; if they are newly mounted in the truck frame, and haven't had much "run time", or, if the car has been sitting idle for an extended period of time (months). Otherwise they will be dark.
The wheels of roller bearing trucks will be a bright rust color if they are new, and a dirty rust if they've been in service.
I wish I had learned this about a thousand wheel sets ago, I wouldn't have the major project to do now, that being, to remove the rust from the steam era wheels, and add the rust to the modern wheels.
Considering the age of your flats, and the hard use they get, I'm sure the wheel sets have been changed several times, and it's been well over a month since they were last done. My opening comments stand, nice flats! and the weathering is very nicely done.
Pete

Weathered Wheels

I'm not really happy about the logs, so I might take them off, and do them a bit darker.

Jon, it 'is' in the way you hold your mouth, and me having an under bite, find my self getting a sore jaw while detail painting!!!

Pete, your absolutly right about the wheel condition, and wether they shoud be rusty or not. My flats have just been remanufactered, so the oil hasn't had a chance to get out onto the wheel yet!!I can relate to your comment about not being a rivet counter, but like to count rivets. I have a tendancy to do that to! For example, what did I paint the journal boxes rusty for, in this shot. See, lousy rivets!

Now I have to wait for more material so I can make more flats and loads!

Drew!

Attachments

• flat car912.jpg
    flat car912.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 202

davidstrains

Those flats look to be just the right size for the "Gauge Industries Box". (see the "Box" thread.) An the lumber on that car looks like it might be the remanents of the one that Jon's truck ran into.:D :D :)

Nice work Drew.

Pete is sure right about the sludge. The wheels on my caboose Which are replacements and date from the 40's are pretty darn sludged up.

t.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
For example, what did I paint the journal boxes rusty for, in this shot.

Drew,
Because you didn't expect to be on the "board" of directors, with a track gauge test unit in tow, that's why
Pete

Drew1125

Drew.
That is some excellent looking rolling stock, my friend!
Very nice work!
Pete,
Thanks so much for the tutorial on wheel weathering...I learn so much every time I come to The Gauge!:cool:

Here's a shot of one of my wheel set's showing that sludge build up Sumpter was talking about.

Attachments

• wheelset.jpg
    wheelset.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 74
Wheel sludge

t. alexander
Now if I didn't know better, I'd say it is real. But, I have a feeling that in fact it is a model. But there is too many parts visable to be a model.

Are they real wheels in the wheel sludge photo?

Drew

Flat Loads

Davidstrains

I don't know about the Gauge Industries Box, but I think Donkeys and Dozers look pretty good!!

Drew

Attachments

• best mosel 60, painted 896.jpg
    best mosel 60, painted 896.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 62

jon-monon

Hey t., pretty good wetherin, but you can paint rust on the treads or it'll make yer track dirty. Makes it look lik eit's been sitting in yer back yard, too! :D :D :D