Scratch Built Cherry Valley Tank Engine

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
As I'm getting out railroad stuff long in storage I'm coming across a few I built over the years.
This is a Tank engine I built on a modified Mantua 0-6-0 chassis.
I had been given the engine needing a motor, & the clear view tender had a crack. I remembered a plan in Locomotive Cyclopedia for a Cherry Valley Tank engine. I Had just finished building a couple of bending machines . These were like the one Micro-mark sells , the reason I built them is a friend had seen one , liked it BUT, as Micro Marks is only 2 inches wide he was wanting one a lot wider, so I made a couple 4 inches wide.
I decided to see how well my new machine could roll a boiler, planning to perhaps roll one & then give the whole mess to a friend to finish.
Well, after the boiler was done, I decided to at least cut out a cab for him , before I knew it I had fallen in love with the little beast & decided to finish it . Also needing to slow the loco down , it was a speed demon, I made a 2 to 1 reduction gear box to go in it. The pictures show it without the motor as I am now getting a Swiss instrument motor for it .
I see that the headlight & a step have come off in storage , no problem I'll make new ones.
I think I will order a Badger sand blaster at the LHS tomorrow, more brass polish residue all over after trying to clean it up.
Heres some pics of it & the bender that started it all!.:eek:

Attachments

• roller 1.jpg
    roller 1.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 20
  • roller 2.jpg
    roller 2.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 15
  • roller 3.JPG
    roller 3.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 10
  • gear 1.JPG
    gear 1.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 10
  • gear 3.jpg
    gear 3.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 9
  • gear 2.jpg
    gear 2.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 15

Dave Harris

Feb 20, 2001
Las Vegas Nv.
Visit site
Used my six pics before I got to the Engine! Here they are. I just noticed one hand rail has slid out of place! Nuts !! Next time I'll solder them in!

Attachments

• cherry 1.jpg
    cherry 1.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 16
  • cherry 2.jpg
    cherry 2.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 11
  • cherry 3.jpg
    cherry 3.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 12
  • cherry 4.jpg
    cherry 4.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 12
  • cherry 5.JPG
    cherry 5.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 11
N

nachoman

That is EXCELLENT work. I've got one that is in process, and I can only hope it turns out this well.

Kevin