Scratch-building suggestions in N

FrankG

I'm looking to model the former Philadelphia Watchcase Company building in N scale (formerly the Pavilion Hotel). The prototype is a few blocks from my house in Riverside, NJ and a branch of the PRR ran directly past it.

I'm going to try attaching a photo.

It might be hard to see, but there is a lot of architectural detail between the 6th and 7th floor and on the clock tower. That detail up close looks almost like dental molding with some additional carved florishes even 15 feet or so. There's also some ornate columns by the front door. Otherwise, the majority of the building is almost entirely standard concrete block.

So, anyone have eny suggestion on how to mimic detail of this kind in such a small scale? I've never tried scratching something this "big".

Attachments

• watch5.jpg
    watch5.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 246

Anachron

I think you should look through European kits for similiar details. Then apply those details from different kits to your model. Many European buildings are very complex like that, so I wouldn't be very suprised if you found something very similiar to it.
Good luck to you!

JBBVry

Wow that is some building looks like it would be fun to build but i think it will take a few kits to do that one. and yes check out the stuff in Walthers from Germany they will have the clock tower like that i would think.