Schmidt Sawmill

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
The Schmidt Sawmill is located at Glenholm on my MAT layout.
It is named after Brain Schmidt who is NARA member #4.
This sawmill has evolved over many years and has provided needed lumber for many industries. Logs arrive eithTer by rail or down the Tay river.
As economies shifted, the sawmill was producing shakes and shingles where 60% of the production was exported to the United States.
Other than the normal lumber cuts, the sawmill also provides wood chips for the manufacture of chip board and other similar products.

The new tariffs established by the US government has virtually cut all exports to the United States to 0. Now the sawmill is just surviving producing cut lumber for the domestic market and wood chips for the processing of chip board.

Not unexpectedly the owners have put the sawmill up for sale. Current employees are looking for funding to purchase the sawmill and operate it themselves on a profit sharing basis.

This is N gauge and is totally scatchbuilt except the chain from my wifes jewellery box.

Attachments

• sw1.jpg
    sw1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 408

Matthyro

And one final picture of workers having to deal with wavey water.

Attachments

• sw3.jpg
    sw3.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 391
Neat building. It really has a "northern" look to it --- as opposed to the shacky, generally open and ready-to-tumble-down look of most mills further south.
Nice modeling.....
Bill

Robin, that's a mighty fine looking structure.
Don't tell me you made it from cerial packets? If it was can I send you a heap of packets with drawings of structures I need for my forthcoming N pike? .. pleeeeeese?

Jolly good paint job too, but ease up on the waves there fellah, the company can't afford the insurance for the log dancers!:) .

Errol

BDC

Errol - The waves were actually created during the creation of this world. Just before the water had completely formed, the Deity Figure sneezed. You can see the result of that one.

Fortunately, the Deity Figure has promised to divinely rescue any logger who falls in the drink. Spurred by that promise and their devotion to their Deity Figure, the inhabitants of this world live each day knowing that they are safe.

Sure, every now and then a train tumbles off the edge of the world, but the Deity Figure is always there to return it to it's former place.

Some dissidents have begun secret meetings, mumbling such blasphemies about how the Deity Figure allows the trains to fall off through his own negligence. Fortunately, the true believers will not listen and life in this happy Valhalla continues on peacefully.

railohio

Very nice, Robin! I almost have Gilbert Gravel done on the INNR, once I do, then I'll work on my industries for you and Catt. :cool:

WVRR

As usual, I am in awe of your talent Robin. I wonder what you used to make that water look so realistic? Kinda looks like the Fraser River in Mission on a windy day. Very nicely done. You should have another industry on your layout that will see more action then all the others ROBIN'S CARDBOARD RECYCLING!!! Cardboard comes in by the boxcar loads, and your items get shipped by rail and truck. Just a thought. LOL

Vic

I like it Robin...Looks like it was a windy day on the log pond. Never seen that modeled before....very orginal.:)

shamus

Registered Member
Hey Robin,
If it's just surviving producing cut lumber for the domestic market and wood chips for the processing of chip board, how can the Badger Creek Lumber Co, survive.?

Great looking structure, I like the weathering and water effects.

Shamus

Matthyro

Charlie the building itself is all cardboard. Some dowel and wood pieces for the log track.

Matthyro

Shamus, from the looks of the era the Bager Creek represents then it was well before the days of US tariffs so I am sure the Badger Creel will be a profitable venture. It should do extremely well , just look at who created it!!