Scenic Ridge Plus / Newbie Questions

kennydavisarch

May 8, 2010
I'm starting a Nscale layout using Kato Track that I would like to base on the Scenic Ridge. I'll be building it with my son and Scenic Ridge has everything he wants in a track, bridges, tunnels, and mountains. I was thinking about adding a foot to the "front" of the layout and trying to add a small yard. So I guess I have two questions, any thoughts about this as a concept? and when you are placing track pieces in XtrackCAD, how do you specify the direction that curves and turn-outs "pop" into the layout. It seems pretty tedious to place each piece and then try to move it into position. I hope I'm missing something simple.

kennydavisarch

May 8, 2010
Poking around last night and I found the wikihelp, thanks for sending it. That's what I needed. Laying track goes much faster now. I managed to make the Scenic ridge layout using unitrack in XtrackCAD (mostly copied it from the Kato website, but at least I have it as an .xtc file now so I can fool around with it.) I added a foot to the front of the layout so it's 4'-0" x 6'-0" now. I tried a few switch yard ideas and didn't like any of them. Does anybody know of a good basic switch yard plan? I'm not really looking for a timesaver or puzzle, just a place to store a few cars and maybe assemble various trains. (not sure if I'm using all these term right, very much a newbie and not I'm not sure about the proper operational terms)

kennydavisarch

May 8, 2010
Ok, I've played around with XtrackCAD a bit and come up with the following layout, I'd like any thoughts you all have based upon the criteria of an 8 year old, he wants, mountains, tunnels, bridges, and a yard. (we did rule out a turntable due to the size of the door) I'm not sure how to show tunnels yet, but basically the top left corner is a mountain with two tunnels at different levels similar to Scenic Ridge.

Attachments

• MNT and Yard on Door 4.xtc
    44.5 KB · Views: 53