Scenic Ridge Layout- Still Can't Decide

mistressmotorsp

Jan 31, 2007
SoCal
Sweet.
This is sounding better and better.

Although, if I'm going to alter it this much, I wonder if I would be better off getting the scenic ridge kit or just building from scratch?

You could certainly go either way. Even though I modified the track plan, all the materials (except the 4% grades) were still useable. You still use the foam risers, portals, foam panels, and all the ground covers, paints, etc. Just an easy way to have everything handy. In my case, the nearest decent hobby store is pretty far away, so I liked the idea of not having to run out for every little thing I forgot. There is plenty of material in the kit to make just about anything you want in a layout of that size.

Mike

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
This Is It!

I've come to a final decision.

With the exception of changing the grades from 4% to 3%, and a pond where the factory should go, I'm going to do a stone stock Scenic Ridge. Track pack and all. The only other difference is that the buildings and details will probably come from forum member Stripes as opposed to the Town & Factory kit.

The 9-3/4" curves might be somewhat limiting but I don't see them seriously hampering my enjoyment. I am looking at this a a learning experience but I don't want to spend so much time "learning" that the layout never gets finished or it's unusable when I'm done. I figure if I can get this one right by following the instructions, perhaps I will do another in the future that utlilizes my own track plan and design.

So there you have it.

Oh.. and it will have dirt/gravel roads instead of paved as well.

mistressmotorsp

Jan 31, 2007
SoCal
Cool, should be fun. I also decided to go with gravel roads, although I am going to use the paving material that came with the kit to make concrete pads for my engine service facilities. One pad under the engine shed, and a more exposed one for the two track diesel service area.

Mike

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Cool, should be fun. I also decided to go with gravel roads, although I am going to use the paving material that came with the kit to make concrete pads for my engine service facilities. One pad under the engine shed, and a more exposed one for the two track diesel service area.

Mike

Cool. I like the idea of the service pads.
What are you using for gravel on your roads?
Mine will most likely be dirt since the whole idea I have in my head is an abandonded town left to rot.

mistressmotorsp

Jan 31, 2007
SoCal
I haven't figured out what the road will be yet. I'm not anywhere near ready for that and still need to research. There are some really nice ones in the galleries on this and other forums. I will probably find a couple I like and ask the builders what was used.

Mike